• runu

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2010

Hello,

My travel itineary is as follows:
    BKK - 27th Dec - 30th
    Samui - 30th - 4th
    Phuket - 4th - 11th

Was hoping all you travel gurus would be able to give me some advice on the following:

1. I was wondering what would be the best option for NYE in Samui? We would be keen to check out a party or two...and maybe a nice dinner...

2. What are the best islands to visit while in Samui and Phuket?

3. Where is the best place to have a few suits made? Is BKK cheaper than Phuket?

Regards,
    Rushil

#1 Posted: 30/11/2010 - 15:58

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

You will see al kinds of nuts on Samui so party options range from q-bar which is more "upscale" (compared to other local stuff) and soi Green mango area. There will be a million and on bars promoting parties all over chaweng beach. As for islands Koh Nang Yuan is good for a relaxing day trip..
    http://www.nangyuan.com/

Many local outfits do a snorkel trip there or you can always go to Koh Pangnan. More party on the beach vibe etc.
    you can find more upscale tailors near the more upscale hotels in Bangkok but they may cost more. Bangkok tailors are not as reputable as Hong Kong's with their bespoke reputation. It comes down to you picking better quality material and being present for all fittings to be sure of everything. Dont let them mail you stuff. many people leave and come back from an island and have no time for a last fitting and get burned. There are ads for tailors in every tourist map at BKK airport but search other blogs for recommendations.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 10:07

• Dilligaf

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

Yes there will be loads happening on Samui. Something for every taste. Restaurants wilth a special NYE menu & pricing. Some will have entertainment in the way of a band or some Katoey's coming to do a show.
    Most hotels in Phuket and Koh Samui hold a gala dinner on both Christmas day and NYE.
    This tends to be a compulsory charge so maybe check to see that your accommodation is not holding something already for dinner. Otherwise, if you are wanting to join in one of these, you can can book just the dinner through any hotel of your choosing. There will be many flyers and advertisements on what's happening so keep your eyes and ears open.
    After dinner, you will have a range of options for clubs and bars.

Regarding suits, whenever in Thailand I always stop last in BKK for 2-3 nights and 1st stop is to head to my favourite tailor but I know people that have bought on the islands and they have been ok. Personally, I would rather pay $20 more and get a good quality job rather than an average quality suit and materials. Shop around. Sometime price is not everything.

#3 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 12:18

• runu

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2010

Thanks for the info!! Does Koh Nang Yuan only offer diving?
    Any other MUST SEE islands?

#4 Posted: 6/12/2010 - 15:01

• Tranzlogic

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010

Runu,

Who all are you traveling with? Your itinerary is almost the same is mine. There are three of us, late 20's males from the U.S.

#5 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 01:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.