Thailand forum

Bills to Pay - How much?

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey guys,

I recently stayed a month in a Phuket apartment and I'm trying to figure out if my landlord charged me correctly for the bills.

I paid the following;

Water - 100 THB per week / 400 per month
    Electricity - 350 THB per week / 1400 per month

The room had a full sized fridge, LG air con with 5 star energy rating, and one of those little boxes used to heat the water for showering. I almost never left the a/c on when out of the apartment, but did tend to run it for about 7-8 hours overnight. Only other drain on the power would be my notebook, and the energy efficient lights of course.

How does this compare with your own experiences?

#1 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 12:58

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

well, I don't know, all depends what you had to pay for the apartment anyway and where it was located.

Normally I use apartments which include everything, so you only have to pay that arranged amount. Apartment in Udon Thani is about 4000-7000 baht (included air con, tv, hot shower, twin bed, fridge) But I guess it's gonna be more in total in Phuket.

#2 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 17:05

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Is electricity more expensive in different parts of the country? I guess it might be, but I thought it was same, same everywhere, in which case location shouldn't have anything to do with it.

The apartment was 6000 a month with no tv and no wifi, but a big comfy queen sized bed and air con.

The extra water and power bills brought that to about 8000.

#3 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 18:53

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

With location I meant that you probably pay more in tourist places like Phuket, Koh Samui, BKK, Chiang Mai,... then in more rural places. Don't think the electricity will be different in other places.

Still a fair amount of money I think you paid there. maybe could have gotten it down a bit if you speak thai though :). Wouldn't bother about it, definitely a good price for tourists.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 21:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Rates do vary by location. Water rates are usually fixed per month (400 is a tad expensive) and electricity is usually charged per unit (that's why you have a meter) and it can range from around 3 baht/unit right up to around 18 on Ko Phi Phi. If you want to know if you're being charged a fair price, make a note of your meter readings at the start and end of the month and find out the local rate per unit.

"LG air con with 5 star energy rating"
    Ha Ha, every aircon unit in Thailand has that sticker showing a 5 star rating, as does every refrigerator I've ever seen here" It's meaningless.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 00:33

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@svendj - I could understand the price being higher overall if I was paying a set amount for the whole shebang; room, water, power all inclusive. But in this case the water and power were itemised seperately.

Speaking Thai would have only confused my landlord - he was a Brit ;)

A Brit who hadn't been at this very long. He didn't have access to the meter and hence couldn't get the before and after readings. He pretty much just took a guess at what he thought the bills would be and took it out of my deposit. Said he'd give me the difference, if any, when he was able to get access to the meter or see the bills. I believe they come at the start of the following month, although he couldn't confirm that despite having owned and lived in properties here for over two years.

I can't imagine the difference will add up to more than $20-$40, so I'm asking about prices here to see whether it's worth following up on the next time I'm in Phuket.

@C'Bob - A guesthouse in Patong told me electricity was 6thb per unit. Also, I did notice most of the appliances have 5 star ratings. Although as I write this there's an old box in my room with no stickers of any kind, unless you count the moth eggs. Wonder how much juice that one sucks up.

#6 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 08:54

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Dear Cranky,

It's easy. Just turn off the A/C and use a fan instead. Your electricity bill will plummet.

#7 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 10:14

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@SBE - True enough. I can get by just fine with a fan. I always thought A/C was a necessity, but having been around in my share of Southern Thailand guesthouses I can see it's just a waste of money/electricity.

I've moved out of the place I was staying where I had bills to pay separately, but the landlord said he'd give me the difference between the guesstimated amount he charged me and the actual amount when he knew what it was. He couldn't read the meter for some reason and won't know the amount until he checks the bill.

I imagine I'll be back in Phuket on my way to Bangkok later on, so I was trying to ballpark the likely refundable amount and judge whether it'd be worth going to collect or not.

In future I will absolutely opt for fan over A/C when renting an apartment for a month or more.

#8 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 12:34

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Try to exploit with minimal resources.

#9 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 17:09

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@errik - I only do that with the Bar Girls

#10 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 22:28

• Advertisement

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Why the injustice with bar girls ;)

#11 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 19:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.