Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Travel Itinerary - Thoughts? (long post!)

• boyohboy100

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2010

Dear All,

Any advice on the following trip Itinerary, most of information is from doing searches online!

I am single male traveller, late 20’s, so want to see some sights as well as sounds J

Arrive Bangkok airport, midday 8th December 2010

· From here I thinking of going straight to Cambodia for 2 nights. I have been given a quote of 3000 bhat for a taxi from the airport to Aranyaprathet and then doing the bored run across. Does this cost sound accurate?
    · Also would I be able to cross the border while it is still light?
    · The airfare is £150 one way, £230 return. Obviously I want to avoid this high cost but due to my limited time but may consider flying one way.
    · The other option is leaving on first bus the day after.

Arrive back to Bangkok (overland) 11th December 14th December, to visit the following:

· Grand Palace ,Wat Pho and Wat Arun can be done in one morning? they are all in the same area, just get the regular river boat from Saphan Taksin
    · Weekend Market – Is this correct
    · Possible day trip on 14th December to Kanchanabury to visit Bride over River kiwi. As I have late night flight here
    · Jim Thompsons House
    · Is there anything I have missed that I realy should go and see.
    · I am staying not far from Sukhumvit
    · Also where to go for some decent nightlife?

14th December fly to Chang Mai from bangkok
    · 1 day trek and Elephant riding – Thinking of going with Jumbo treks?
    · 1 day zip line – flight of the gibbons
    · I have accommodation at the blue house

17th December Flight from Chaing Mai to Phuket , mid afternoon.
    · From the airport to my guesthouse in Patong
    From here I would like to go to: Kata viewpoint, hromthep cape, Wat Chalong (temples) Big Buddah (not to be missed) Phuket town andrang Hill lookout
    · I have one night in Patong before I catch a ferry to Phi Phi, can I see all the above either in 1 afternoon/evening (may be pushing it here) and/or morning before I catch the ferry to Phi Phi.
    · Where is best/cheapest place to catch the ferry?
    · Night out in Patong, any recommendations food/”good” music?

18th December – 22 December
    · Island hopping - Bamboo Island, Mosquito Island and Hin Klang along with Long Beach. I am Interested lazing around enjoying the beach and some good food. Would all these islands visited in 1 day?
    · I also want to Head out early to Phi Phi Ley and visit Maya Bay including the viking caves. How many hours would it take out here including travelling via long tail boats from the hotel to Phi Phi Ley.
    · Anyone recommendations on a good value tour but not too much money J Also where do I get boat from?
    · Are there any other places I should see while in Phi Phi?
    · Any recommendations good food/good music?

22nd December -24 - Phi Phi to Krabi - following advice on Board I am staying at An Nong
    · I had originally wanted to stay at Railay but heard it was both quiet and Expensive
    · So following advice on Board I am staying at An Nong – any good places to eat and drink?
    · Hoping to a day trip to Railay/Ko Lanta – Any thoughts/Recommendations
    · Would like to do 4-Island snorkel tour (Poda, Chicken, Sih, & one other spot?)

24th December – Flight from Krabi to Ko Smauri , arrive mid Afternoon
    · What and where time is last boat from here to Head Rin – Full part
    · Any recomended places to go here for food?

26th December – flight from Koh Samui to Bangkok and then home!
    · How long will it take from Head Rin to Koh Samui Aiport?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 2/12/2010 - 22:14

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

First off the Grand Palace itself is a few hours minimum or you might as well walk in and out. it is big and intricate and you will be snapping pics. it will be crowded too. Go early. Arun and Pho are not small places and have many details. Those three can take up earrly morning until mid afternoon if you really want to FEEL them. You are rushing it. Running straight to Cambodia after landing. it is still a 3 hour ride to Siem Reap from the border. You arrive mid day. the border closes dude. It is a 3-4 hour ride to the border. You want to do Ankor Wat on Thurs/friday. you need to get there wed night and secure lodgings and then a driver to take you around before sun-up. The sun rise is part of it if you have researched. Then back in time on Sat for the temples in bangkok..............slow down. The weekend market is SAT and SUN and it is HUGE!!!!!!!!! You will not enjoy the temples and that and feel relaxed.

#2 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 08:19

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Wat Arun is across the river from the others. you have to take into account the walk back to the river, waiting for the next boat. then the same in reverse. I have been to ALL 3 multiple times but all 3 in one day....phew. take your time. If you get back to Bkk late on Sat you can go to Wat Arun early Sun...then head over to the weekend market for a few hours in the afternoon. It is not as unique as you think...just big as hell. The trinkets there can be bought at MBK mall and in Chiang Mai. Monday can be the grand palace and Wat Pho. Going to Kanchanaburi AND flying up to Chiang Mai? Same day? Flying from Bangkok? Nothing goes exactly as planned in Thailand. And you may take 2 hours to get to the exact spot in KB or more. Always factor in delays in SE ASIA. NOTHING. Kanchanaburi is cool but not a must see looking at your itinerary. Hell after angkor KB is just another province town. The bridge and all are rebuilt and there is a museum but just chill out and feel the city a bit. Still trying to decifer the rest. I hope someone else helps. You are seriously pushing things too close with no time to relax. Transpo is on Thai time which means trying to hop from one place or island to the next isn't done so quick. waiting times for boats to fill etc.

#3 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 08:34

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Only 2 days in Chiang Mai and you don't see CM. An elephant trek can be an hour of your whole trek. And it may be more than an hour to where you are trekking. If that. Zip lining? Visti CM itself. there are folks, food, markets...Doi Suthep temple on the mountain. very near the city. Mini Grand Palace but on a mountain. if you have seen the Buddhas in Hong Kong or Japan, yes you can miss it. There are MANY. Including the lying Buddha at Wat Pho.
    You can't party too much if you want get the ferry early. You want to island hop and no not all in one day if you actually want to laze around. Get to Phi Phi on the 18th or a day later, and you will see tons of others and parties all night in the main town. The maya bay tours can start early like sunrise, on a private longtail if you want to avoid the late morning crowds from the tour companies. This is tiresome.....How about heading south to Samui after CM and then get over to Pangnan and get settled relax and enjoy. You will spend TOOOOOOO much time traveling from place to place. The FM party is going to be more than crowded and I hope you have acommodations.

#4 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 08:49

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Skip Cambodia for another holiday when you have more time. After flying in from a long distance and taking a long taxi ride and the time changes you will probably be a little pooped anyway.

Add the 2 days you save on Cambodia to Chiang Mai. At some point in time you ought to stop and actually make some effort to actually relax a bit and do something besides ride taxis, buses and wait for rides.

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 09:16

• Dilligaf

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

You need to somehow get rid of half of your planned things to do in each of the destinations.
    Realistically, you have little hope of seeing everything you mentioned in the time frames you have stated. Surely you will want relax a little and enjoy the culture and hospitality as well?
    Otherwise, you're going to feel like you need a holiday once you're done with your Thailand trip.

#6 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 08:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to post a long reply? ... By UsTwo on 5 Sep 2012 9 1576 7 Sep 2012