Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

North or Central

• himji

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

I've been doing a bit or reading and I've gone from wanting to go North Thai to Central. Now it's easy reading it all in a book but maybe I can get some experience in to help my decision.

I'm looking for scenery and walks, great scenery, great walks priority. Then good culture, history (ruins), friendly people I can actually converse with and other activities (elephant rides, water rafting, etc in no particular order. In scenery, I'm thinking hills, mountains, waterfals, parks, jungles, caves, lakes anything photogenic that'll take my breath away.

In my original research, I though N. Thai especially CM and then a little travel around there was the place to go but reading a bit more, Central Thai seems to have a bit more albeit alot more travelling.

For a first and maybe only trip for many years, any word of wisdom?

#1 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 06:39

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Can you speak Thai well enough for a conversation with the locals? That will make a big difference. For natural scenery I'd definitely stick with the far north or stray west or east. I mean around Kanchanburi is a nice alternative, but having done several multi-day drives between Bangkok and Chiang Mai it gets a bit dismal in the midlands. From Singburi to Phitsanulok is mostly boring flat land dotted with little Nakhon Nowhere towns. Better to stray off to the east e.g. Loei province, maybe a small town like Dan Sai which is surrounded by hills and you can daytrip around there up to Na Haeo and Phu Soi Dao NP a gorgeous little-visited corner of Thailand. Further north and west of Chiang Mai I'd recommend the Mae Hong Son loop and maybe a less touristy town like Khun Yuam where again you can daytrip up to Mae Surin waterfall or out to the Burmese border. Soppong (Pang Mapha) is also a little up-and-coming town with a few guesthouses and loads of local hiking possibilities.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2010 - 18:46

• himji

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

Hey there. No I don't speak any Thai at all. I suppose I should start getting the basics mastered :)

As for Central Thai, the parts I liked the sound of from my reading were;
    Erawen falls and Srinakarind NP and the surrounding area.
    Ayutthatya and the surrounding area
    Sukhothai
    Umphang

But I could do the CM and areas around the North since you suggest that should cover most of the things I'm looking for and then pick and choose from the rest of that stuff before heading further down south for some scuba and beach time.

I should have said, I've got just about 3 1/2 weeks total.

#3 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 04:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
BKK - Central - North and on to Laos (and back to BKK) - help? ... By noakess on 11 Oct 2010 2 1320 18 Oct 2010
3 weeks Central+North highlights - please help... ... By noakess on 31 Oct 2010 3 1940 1 Nov 2010
Flooding in North and Central Vietnam ... By niko on 9 Nov 2008 2 1651 9 Nov 2008
Weather in North - Central Vietnam in early March? ... By guyedwin on 10 Feb 2009 1 2203 17 Feb 2009
Trekking/cycling tour in central/north Vietnam - recommendations? ... By mamaamis on 1 Mar 2010 0 2168 1 Mar 2010