Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

North or Central

Posted by himji on 3/12/2010 at 06:39

I've been doing a bit or reading and I've gone from wanting to go North Thai to Central. Now it's easy reading it all in a book but maybe I can get some experience in to help my decision.

I'm looking for scenery and walks, great scenery, great walks priority. Then good culture, history (ruins), friendly people I can actually converse with and other activities (elephant rides, water rafting, etc in no particular order. In scenery, I'm thinking hills, mountains, waterfals, parks, jungles, caves, lakes anything photogenic that'll take my breath away.

In my original research, I though N. Thai especially CM and then a little travel around there was the place to go but reading a bit more, Central Thai seems to have a bit more albeit alot more travelling.

For a first and maybe only trip for many years, any word of wisdom?

#1 himji has been a member since 24/11/2010. Posts: 29

Posted by Captain_Bob on 3/12/2010 at 18:46

Can you speak Thai well enough for a conversation with the locals? That will make a big difference. For natural scenery I'd definitely stick with the far north or stray west or east. I mean around Kanchanburi is a nice alternative, but having done several multi-day drives between Bangkok and Chiang Mai it gets a bit dismal in the midlands. From Singburi to Phitsanulok is mostly boring flat land dotted with little Nakhon Nowhere towns. Better to stray off to the east e.g. Loei province, maybe a small town like Dan Sai which is surrounded by hills and you can daytrip around there up to Na Haeo and Phu Soi Dao NP a gorgeous little-visited corner of Thailand. Further north and west of Chiang Mai I'd recommend the Mae Hong Son loop and maybe a less touristy town like Khun Yuam where again you can daytrip up to Mae Surin waterfall or out to the Burmese border. Soppong (Pang Mapha) is also a little up-and-coming town with a few guesthouses and loads of local hiking possibilities.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by himji on 5/12/2010 at 04:58

Hey there. No I don't speak any Thai at all. I suppose I should start getting the basics mastered :)

As for Central Thai, the parts I liked the sound of from my reading were;
Erawen falls and Srinakarind NP and the surrounding area.
Ayutthatya and the surrounding area
Sukhothai
Umphang

But I could do the CM and areas around the North since you suggest that should cover most of the things I'm looking for and then pick and choose from the rest of that stuff before heading further down south for some scuba and beach time.

I should have said, I've got just about 3 1/2 weeks total.

#3 himji has been a member since 24/11/2010. Posts: 29

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.