Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel insurance through airline?

Posted by molocono on 4/12/2010 at 02:21

I'm booking my ticket to Thailand through American Airlines and they offer travel insurance for $77. Should I go with that or go with something like World Nomads? I don't know if they are the same thing or not. Thanks!

#1 molocono has been a member since 6/9/2010. Posts: 24

Posted by busylizzy on 4/12/2010 at 02:39

I would suggest that you really need to look at the wording of the policy document and compare.

This is something I posted awhile back that might help you decide:

Some things to consider when comparing insurance policies:

- can you extend the policy while travelling (important if you are travelling long-term)?
- what are the exclusions?
- do they pay for medical evacuation? (esp important if travelling in Vietnam, Indonesia, Laos, etc)
- does the cost cover the value of your camera, laptop, iPod, etc? If not, find out what the additional cost is for these.
- what are maximum payouts for each item?
- can you claim while overseas?
- what is the excess per claim?
- what rental car coverage is there?
- are you covered for motorcycling? diving? (any other adventurous activities that you are likely to partake in)
- total cost

And there is an article here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelinsurance/10045_travelling-without-an-insurance---a-warning-

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Dilligaf on 5/12/2010 at 08:30

Sounds pretty cheap.
As the busy one said, check the fine print and the policy wording to ensure you have adequate cover.

#3 Dilligaf has been a member since 27/11/2010. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.