Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

In Vang Vieng, Want One Last Beach, Which One?

• ima221

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010

My fiance and I have been traveling in the region the past 3 months and have 8 days left. We are in Vang Vieng, Laos, but we want to leave tomorrow morning, take the bus to Vientiane, have lunch, cross the border, then take the night train to Bangkok.

From Bangkok we want to get to a beach as quickly (no flying, out of money) and hassle free as possible and spend a few days at the beach. We are probably looking for 300 baht or less accomodations. With this info in mind, where should we go? Ko Chang? Ko Samet? One of the smaller islands? Thanks! Ian

#1 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 10:12

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Everything looks doable until I get to the 300 baht limit. It's officially "high season" now and today being the King's Birthday a lot of Thai folks are hitting the holiday spots within a few hours of the capitol city. Tomorrow is a holiday too but some of them will go home Tuesday. Just that most beach bungalow operators will probably keep their prices up through the holiday season now. Samet has arguably the best beaches near Bangkok (3hr bus then 45 min ferry) but it's increasingly hard to find anything under around 600-800 although Ao Hin Kok and adjacent Ao Phai would have the best chance of cheaper huts. Or try Ko Chang down on Long Beach at The Treehouse, or at Bang Bao see Cliff Cottage.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 13:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree with Captain Bob that Samet is a good choice because of the best beaches near Bangkok and because it is relatively cheap and easy to get there. I haven't been to Samet in a few years, but in my many trips to Samet before then, there were always a stray rooms in the little port town of Nadan which rented out at a substantial discount to the rooms along the beach. You might be able to find something in that 300 baht price range you seek.

No matter which season, it is definitely best to arrive on Ko Samet midweek, as the place fills up on weekends and room prices rise accordingly.

If it isn't too late already, and if you are up for a different kind of beach and hammock experience, once you are in Nong Khai you could head upriver along the Mekong about 100 km to Sangkhom and spend a few days or more at Bouy Guesthouse. It is a small little collection of huts on a bluff overlooking the river. The huts all have hammocks and river views and doubles rent for the under 300 baht range you seek. The river has a wide section of sandy beach and is okay for swimming too, and the small town is charming, affordable, and about as laid back as it gets.

I'd call or write ahead if possible to check availability. You can reach the nice folks who run Bouy at 42 441065 or by email at toy_bgh@hotmail.com. (Thats an underscore between toy and bgh.) To get there, take the Nong Khai to Loei bus that runs along route 211. There are direct (overnight) buses back to Bangkok from Sangkhom as well should you choose to go that route. Hope that helps. Regards.

#3 Posted: 6/12/2010 - 03:12

• ima221

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I think we are going to go to Koh Samet and take our chances with it being busy. If it is 600 baht, I guess that is what we will have to pay. Thanks again! Ian

#4 Posted: 6/12/2010 - 08:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 1221 16 Aug 2013
Vang Vieng - New hotel - Villa Vang Vieng Riverside ... By charlass on 6 Jan 2011 0 4433 6 Jan 2011
Vang Vieng or Vieng Xai and Phonsavan ... By coralidiote on 6 Dec 2013 2 763 13 Dec 2013
Vang Vieng ... By clairebike on 4 Nov 2009 2 3444 20 Nov 2009
Instead of Vang Vieng... ... By JavaJunkie on 4 Feb 2010 11 5230 24 Sep 2011
gym in vang vieng? ... By zeus911 on 13 Mar 2010 3 4800 15 Mar 2010
vang vieng? ... By jasonkim8486 on 21 Oct 2009 1 3779 21 Oct 2009
Big Changes in Vang Vieng? ... By ehenness on 31 Aug 2012 90 19299 13 Oct 2013
Tubing in Vang Vieng ... By Joey82 on 9 Jul 2011 2 2951 9 Jul 2011
Anyone to share car/van from LP to Vang Vieng? ... By affgomes on 25 Oct 2012 3 679 26 Oct 2012