Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand - high season booking required?

Posted by aegeon1 on 7/12/2010 at 02:47

Hi All,

I'm in Thailand from Dec25th to Jan 8th. Do I have to book ahead for accomodation across Thailand at this time?

I personalize rather just wing it and pick up hotels/bungalows etc., where ever I end up.

I hear from some people you don't have to book ahead for most places but high season might be a different story.

Thanks,

#1 aegeon1 has been a member since 30/11/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by guava_girl on 10/12/2010 at 07:39

It depends on where you are going. But being the peak season throughout the country I would suggest booking ahead unless you are going to very remote places.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by Thomas922 on 11/12/2010 at 16:20

I agree. There will be accommodation but the better or better located spots will be taken. there are always tales of folks getting lucky winging it but there will be a ton of people in certain places so.......

#3 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: Global Village. Posts: 346

Posted by khunwilko on 11/12/2010 at 21:13

Over New Year you will find that Thai people also take a holiday and some places can be absolutely rammed.

Most places do have too much accommodation but as stated above the god stuff will be gone - this will leave you with the shabby or the very expensive or a combination of both.

I would at least ring ahead before going somewhere, and take a psare float for times where the only place available is a five star hotel suite.

#4 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by exacto on 12/12/2010 at 01:27

as khunwilko says, many Thai people also take a holiday over the new year. because of that, accommodation isn't the only issue as transportation can also be booked solid and/or jam packed. unless you are able to make a confirmed transport booking, you'd do well to get where you are going a few days ahead of new years and stay put until folks have headed back home. if it were me, unless i were heading to somewhere particularly remote, i'd arrive no later than thursday the 30th if possible and hang out until at least monday the 3rd to avoid the transport crowds. regards.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by aegeon1 on 12/12/2010 at 11:58

thanks folks for your replies, sounds like i should look into booking then. khunwilko what do you mean by a spare float?

Thanks,

#6 aegeon1 has been a member since 30/11/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Tennouji on 12/12/2010 at 20:01

To give you an idea, I got chatting to a Thai policewoman on the ferry back from Lipe early last January; she told me that she had shared a bungalow with a stranger as she couldn't find anything. Yes, Lipe is small, but all of the bus and train tickets back to Bangkok were also sold out so the two of us got a lift with a guy who was driving home. I got out in his home town, but she paid him to take her all the way to Bangkok as she had to be in work the next day!

#7 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 129

Posted by khunwilko on 13/12/2010 at 07:16

spare float - cash put to one side to get you out of a predicament.

As I said you may find the only places available are the most expensive - and they won't be offering discount!

and you may HAVE to travel first class or get taxis instead of a bus.

#8 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.