Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Looking for advice--Krabi and Trang Islands

• alinaisle

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2010

Hello all,
    My boyfriend and I will be traveling in Thailand, starting Jan. 10th, for a month. Yes it's the high season and naturally there will be other travelers in droves, but I'm hoping we can still attain some level of quiet and seclusion on an island/mainland beach, probably in Trang province for the first couple of weeks (then on to the north). A simple, clean bungalow on or near the beach with access to food and swimming are basically what we're looking for...no nightlife or intense activity required. The islands that have stood out so far are Ko Bu Bu in Krabi, and Ko Libong /Ko Sukorn in Trang. We're having a hard time deciding on a spot, and it seems like it's necessary to reserve ahead this time of year...which makes me cringe as I always prefer to show up, bargain, and decide from there. SO, insight into any of these locales would be fantastic and greatly appreciated, especially Ko Libong vs. Ko Sukorn, whether it's important to book ahead in these spots, or suggestions of other places that I may have overlooked.

Another question: Air Asia or Nok air? Better to book ahead of time? It's the advanced planning and date deciding that's freaking me out a little, but I suppose you have to bite the bullet sometimes. Thanks in advance...

Cheers, Alina

#1 Posted: 9/12/2010 - 13:02

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If I had to choose between Ko Libong and Ko Sukorn I'd go with Ko Libong. Both have a lot of accommodation that can't be booked online, and neither are all that popular, so by mid Jan you should be able to get away without a recservation -- you just might not get your first choice.

If you're booking ahead, AirAsia. For flights next day kinda thing, Nok Air (as their flight prices tend to fluctuate a little less). Comfort wise I prefer AirAsia but I love the colour scheme on the NokAir planes!

#2 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 09:39

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Re Air Asia or Nok Air have flown both and agree with Somtam. But had no trouble flying Nok Air to Trang. Just remember they fly out of the old DonMuang airport.
    cheers

#3 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 11:55

• alinaisle

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2010

Lovely, thanks for the input!

#4 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 14:23

• richelieu20-

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

Hi, we just returned from Thailand, Phuket Province. We have travelled several times to Thailand and never booked the hotels ahead. This year the tourist numbers were down sharply because of the political troubles (official number is -10 to 15% less Tourists travelling to Thailand vs 2009). But I suspect the reality its alot higher in some places. So I suggest you guys just visit the islands and enjoy the walk in rates that are around 10% lower then the rates the hotels/bungalows publish on their website. My personal favorite for the Trang Islands is: Koh Ngai (or pron. as Hai), the main beach is beautiful and you can snorkel from the Beach close to the pier of Koh Ngai Resort, with a Coral reef that is still in good shape(we visited the island in Dec 2009, bu things are changing fast especially this year was a major Coral Bleeching year!! )We had a great Bungalow at the fantasie resort (with aircon and around 1400THB/nigh incl breakfast).The food was good and Service aswell.

#5 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 16:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi vs Trang Islands ... By kriskeogh on 23 Nov 2011 3 1782 26 Nov 2011
Trang islands advice? ... By Sampan on 7 Nov 2009 4 2078 12 Nov 2009