Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Showing Mum Thailand

• clairebear16

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

I have moved to Oz from the Uk and so Thailand is a great 'meet me halfway' spot to holiday with my parents. Having traveled a little around Thailand i am trying to show them a taster in two weeks.

We are flying into Phuket and planning on staying there for 1/2 days- we want a not too touristy spot but close enough for us to travel into some nightlife. Any recommendations?
    I also heard you can surf in Phuket- When are the waves good for this and what beach?

We are then going to travel up to Khao Sok and spend 2-3 days here.

After this I am unsure. We want to island hop and i guess it depends on the weather (Early May)

Is is possible to visit Ko Yao Noi from Phi Phi?
    Would it be better to travel to Krabi or Ao PhangNgan from Khao Sok and on to Ko Yao Noi/PhiPhi/Phuket.
    I have visited Lanta and loved it but as i have been would like to try somewhere else.

If the weather is not on our side we can travel to KPN/Tao then fly back from Samui.

I am open to suggestions

Claire

#1 Posted: 10/12/2010 - 09:43

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Claire,

May isn't going to bring good weather to the Andaman Coast - I'd be inclined to still go to Khao Sok, but then continue on to Ko Pha Ngan Ko Samui or Ko Tao. For Phuket - most places are pretty well developed for tourism, but you'll find some good deals on hotels in May, so I'd do some searching and let the hotel choice decide which beach.

No boat from Ko Phi Phi to Ko Yao Noi - you can only go from Phuket or Krabi.

CHeers

#2 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 09:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My 74 year old mother and her 82 year old boyfriend came her to visit and had a great time. Hope you and yours enjoy it as well.

#3 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 17:50

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Claire,

Check out this website for surf reviews of Phuket's many beaches -- http://www.phuket.com/sports/surfing.htm I know I've seen people surfing at Kamala Beach in May.

#4 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 20:55

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Not too touristy but close enough to the nightlife? I'd stay in Kamala - one town up from Patong.

If you want some surf, head to Kata beach. I've not seen bigger waves than that anywhere else on the island. Just don't expect a bus between Patong and Kata - although they're two towns away, you have to go via Phuket Town.

Catch a tuk tuk, taxi, or throw mom on the back of a rental bike if you're really game.

#5 Posted: 16/12/2010 - 23:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.