Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Railay/Tonsai questions: climbing, mosquitoes and bungalows!

• gaelene

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2010

Hello all,

I am going to be in the Railay/Tonsai area the first two weeks of March or so. Although I've spent a good deal of time in Thailand over the years, I have yet to make it to the south. Always seemed a bit overdeveloped, but this time I can't resist the climbing.

A few questions...

Is it true that the best way to get here from Bangkok is a bus/train to Surit Thani, then a bus to Krabi, then a boat to Railay? Or is there a bus from Surit Thani to Ao Nang, from which I can take a boat to Tonsai?

What is the bug situation like? I've been living in the jungle of Western Thailand and Deet has unfortunately been a daily necessity. Will I need to bring more to Southern Thailand?

Finally, what are the cheapest accommodations you know of in this area? I think I'd like to stay in Tonsai ideally, but don't know the best guesthouses (and by best I mean cheapest). Of course I've seen a lot here, but all the posts seem pretty outdated. They will still charge high season rates in February, right?

Thanks in advance for your replies! And if anyone else will be down there then, LET ME KNOW! I'll be traveling alone and desperate for climbing partners/buddies :)

#1 Posted: 18/12/2010 - 11:58

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Relax..you can take a bus to Krabi bus terminal. Then catch a songthaew to Ao Phra Nang (Ao Nang). railey or Ton(g) Sai is 10 minutes away by boat. Remember, no piers at the beaches so make sure you can lift your bags and keep electronics safe. I would seal then in double plastic bags if you have nothing better in case of an accident. But usually no big deal. There are several TonSai places on all the hostel booking sites. I had no problems booking and changing when I got there. Under $50 will not be a problem. how low you go is up to you. Ihere are some sh$tholes as well. I had no need of any mossie stuff when I was there in Jan but everyone is different. I get bit less. Many people use creams with less harsh levels of deet. As far as development it is all guesthouses and the like at the beaches as far as Railey and Tonsai. Just the beach bum climber crowd while the Railey accommodation can be quite pricey.
    There are other less developed islands but if you got the climbing bug there will be all of your kind at tonsai.

#2 Posted: 19/12/2010 - 16:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan ... By Arigato9 on 27 Jan 2013 2 1854 28 Jan 2013
Ko Tao - Chumphon - Krabi - Ao Nang - Railay - Tonsai with Fame Tours ... By danandhan on 20 Jan 2010 2 7413 24 Jan 2011
May trip - questions on Phuket/Railay/Phi-Phi area ... By ls1dreams on 25 Apr 2013 3 1702 26 Apr 2013