Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand itineraries - thoughts please!

• squire82

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2010

Hi, I fly into Bangkok on Jan 29th and have been giving some thought to where I'll go and have come up with a couple of rough itineraries. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether you think I may be trying to squeeze too much into this trip or any other suggestions.

Version 1
    Jan 29 - 30 - Bangkok ;
    Jan 31 - 2 - Chang Rai ;
    Feb 3 - 5 - Chang Mai ;
    Feb 6 - 8 - Pai ;
    Feb 9 - 10 Mae Hong Son ;
    Feb 11 - Bangkok ;
    Feb 12 - 17 Ko Tao ;
    Feb 18 - 20 Bangkok

Version 2
    Jan 29 - 30 Bangkok ;
    Jan 31 - 3 Chang Mai ;
    Feb 4 - 6 Pai ;
    Feb 7 - 10 Mae Hong Son ;
    Feb 11 - Bangkok ;
    Feb 12 - 17 - Ko Tao ;
    Feb 18 - 20 Bangkok

When heading north I plan to fly just to minimise the journey time and will look to fly back form Mae Hong Son to Bangkok. Is it generally best to book the flights in advance or do the prices remain fairly consistent until a few days before departure?

Any comments are appreciated.

#1 Posted: 20/12/2010 - 01:43

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's hard to comment on it because there's no way to know the motivations of your choices. Why did you select the places that you selected? Without knowing that, how can anyone tell you if those are the right places for you to visit. If I had three weeks, and were setting my itinerary, I would be going to Kanchanaburi for sure, and also to NKP and That Phanom. None of those places are on your list, probably for good reason. But we have to really start there for anyone to give you intelligent commentary.

#2 Posted: 20/12/2010 - 01:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Based on logistics alone, I'd go with version 2, since it is a bit less moving around and more time to spend in fewer places. I've been to Mae Hong Son a few times, and four days seems like a lot to me unless you have something specific you wanted to do there. Also, based on others' recent comments, I wonder if Soppong isn't a better choice than Pai. But that's a personal choice depending on what you plan to do there.

Definitely book your domestic flights as well as any overnight sleeper train reservations in advance. Otherwise you may not get the dates and times you want, which would be an issue on your fairly tight schedule.

BTW, how do you plan to get to Ko Tao? Cheers.

#3 Posted: 20/12/2010 - 04:25

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I agree with choice #2 also. As for what you like to do we don't know but for any first timer I think you will find your choices interesting and you can always alter things along the way. That is the thing about Thailand, one man's paradise ia anothers dump. CM has many interesting little thing especially for a first timer to the region. Pai is not in itself a super place but it is a nice little chill hub to branch out to the rest of Mai Hong Son. As for Kanchanaburi, MAC loves it but for me it is not a must see unless you are a war buff. See? So you telling us more will help us choose for you but I think you will enjoy what you chose.

#4 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 09:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand Visas and Itineraries ... By carpeybiggs on 30 Dec 2008 7 1577 8 Jan 2009