Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

BKK train to Nong Khai, stopping at Ayutthaya

• textibule

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2010

Hello all.
    I had been planning on taking the #69 night train from Bangkok to Nong Khai (which stops at Ayutthaya) end of jan 2011. Then had the thought that it would be a great idea to take a 3rd class jump-on train to Ayutthaya in the morning, jump off, visit the temples and old city, then be back at the Ayutthaya station in the evening to pick up the Nong Khai train when it pulls in.

I was wondering if there's a better or worse way to get my tickets.

I expect that it's a good idea to reserve the Ay-NK 2nd or 1st-class sleeper a few days early. So, I was thinking of doing that, maybe at an agency on KSR (seems like a hassle to go to Hualamphong station just to buy tickets. Am I wrong?), then just showing up at the train station to go to Ay on the travel day.

Also, does anyone know if there's a place at Ayutthaya station where I can park my bags for a few hours, while I wonder around?

TIA, hope this question isn't too muddled :-)

#1 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 01:24

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

There are a bunch of 3rd class train options through the day so, yes, you can do this.

"I expect that it's a good idea to reserve the Ay-NK 2nd or 1st-class sleeper a few days early."

Yes, that is a very good idea.

"So, I was thinking of doing that, maybe at an agency on KSR (seems like a hassle to go to Hualamphong station just to buy tickets. Am I wrong?), then just showing up at the train station to go to Ay on the travel day."

No, you're not wrong. You will pay a service fee, but it's not much and, yes, it will save you from going to the station.

I think that the Chinese New Year is at the very beginning of February this year, so you might want to reserve your berth more than just a few days in advance.

Not sure about storage at the station in Ayuthaya, but I'm sure there's something. If not, there are a couple of guest houses nearby where you could probably drop them if you stay and have a drink or something to eat.

Enjoy.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 02:30

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

yup, as Tilapia says, there are quite a few trains that go to and through Ayutthaya, so you should be able to go to Hualamphong station in Bangkok and more or less just catch the next train.

definitely a good idea too to book your overnight sleeper tickets as far in advance as possible. the trains fill up pretty quickly now, and even if you are able to get a last-minute reservation, it will likely be an upper berth near the door to the bathroom. you'll be much more comfortable with a lower berth near the middle of the carriage.

anyway, instead of just storing your bags when you explore the city, you might also consider getting a day room at one of the guesthouses that is on that short section of road to the west of the train station before you get to the river. that way you'll have a place to store your stuff, shower up, and maybe even take a nap before the train arrives for the trip to Nong Khai .

whatever you do, leave plenty of time to get back to the train station before your train to Nong Khai arrives. i don't know what time the little ferry boats across that small section of river near the train station stop running, but you'll want to figure that out right when you arrive and/or leave extra time to get back over to the train station by tuk tuk.

hope that makes sense. have fun.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2010 - 09:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train 69, Bangkok to Nong Khai ... By Boulos on 27 May 2011 5 4098 12 Jun 2011
Bangkok – Nong Khai train question. ... By kif on 15 Sep 2010 3 3094 16 Sep 2010
Avoid Train From Nong Khai To Thalang!!! ... By Naturepunk324 on 25 May 2011 1 2313 25 May 2011
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3852 19 Feb 2010
Nong Khai to Sukothai ... By swag on 23 Mar 2008 0 4665 23 Mar 2008
POIPET to NONG KHAI ... By steffanmathias on 7 Jun 2010 1 3554 7 Jun 2010
Nong Khai to Sukhothai ... By danceswithrose on 28 Dec 2010 0 4198 28 Dec 2010
Fireball at Nong Khai ... By neosho on 31 Oct 2012 0 1522 31 Oct 2012
Nong Khai to Phimai: how to get there ... By reenakukreja on 31 Jul 2007 5 4230 17 Aug 2007
Nong Khai or Mae Hong Son ... By longbeach on 11 Jul 2012 19 1891 19 Jul 2012