Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Grass Seed - Serious Question

• brooking

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2005

Hi

I am visiting the country on the weekend and meeting a friend, an expat who has requested some "lawn seed" as a must have from home.

I have tried the Dept of Agriculture but cannot find it listed as a prohibited agricultural product.

Does anybody know whether it is or not !

I suppose even if it is allowed i might have a few hours explaining to do at customs !

Cheers

Ade

#1 Posted: 7/12/2006 - 21:17

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Hi Ade,

Don't quote me but I'm lead to believe that the 'Final By-Product' of your 'Lawn Seed' is classified as the naughty bit. BUT, a lot depends on which country your travelling from and to!!!!

During a trip in Bolivia last year it was explained to us that carrying coca leaves didn't warrant a sniff from the law as many people carried the stuff due to the altitude. If you were searched 'they' would be looking for the bits that go into making charlie smile!!!!! @-)

Having said all that, personally I wouldn't contemplate it....................

chill
    stevie

#2 Posted: 7/12/2006 - 22:41

• brooking

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2005

Hi Stevie

This lawn seed is genuinely being used to create a lawn - not sure what the matter is with Thai grass seed !

What i was trying to establish was whether you can actually bring seed as opposed to flower's etc which i appreciate may have concerns over spreading disease etc.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 7/12/2006 - 23:37

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Ha ha.....................

Sorry!! Talk about barking up the wrong tree....................!!!

8-)

#4 Posted: 8/12/2006 - 00:30

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

You can not take seeds to plant into another country.

Seeds can spread disease too!

Rules in Thailand would be more relaxed than the rules here in Australia (only a guess) but you would definitely not be able to bring grass seeds into OZ.

It's not good for the environment to import flora and fauna into another country, you never know what else you could be bringing in with those seeds, small insects that may not be found in Thailand, weed seeds that may not be found in Thailand and you never know what effect these and imported grass will have on the environment.

I work for a wheat export company and know the rules for wheat not grass but the principal is still the same.

Some stupid stuff people brought into OZ, which has had a detrimental effect on the environment here, all of which people thought were harmless at the time.

Cane Toads
    Rabbits & Foxes
    Blackberries
    Ivy

#5 Posted: 8/12/2006 - 07:33

• brooking

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2005

Thanks 4 that Princess -

#6 Posted: 8/12/2006 - 18:13

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I used to work for the Thai Department of Agriculture and Agricultural Extension, as well as for Health Canada's Quarantine and Regulatory Department, and have had to deal with issues like this in both countries. It is possible to bring seed into another country but it requires a lot of time and paperwork and, in the end, they'll say no. And for good reason (some of which have been mentioned already by Princessdisaster ... great name!).

Can't say that I blame your friend, though. Most grass in Thailand is like wire. It's no wonder there's not much of a beef industry there.

Bad idea.

#7 Posted: 8/12/2006 - 21:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Take your friend some good beer instead.

#8 Posted: 8/12/2006 - 21:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.