Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

how long is the trip from the bangkok international airport to bangkok center?

• ilovetravel-
    ling

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

hi! i'll land in Bangkok international airport at 12 pm on the 25th of december and in the same day i have another flight to ko samui at 8.30 pm.
    i think I need one hour to catch my luggage at the airport so for 1.30 pm I think I'm out of the airport. to catch the ko samui flight i have to be there at least at 7 pm ( 1.30 hours before departing).
    so my question is: can i go to bangkok center for a while and leaving at 5.30 to come back to the airport?!
    I mean how long is the trip from the airport to the center?!
    is it worth it or not?! i am scared i cant be able to come back in time!!!
    soemone can tell me something??!!!

#1 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 17:39

• Advertisement

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

a taxi the ride into bkk takes about 40 - 60 minutes , what airport are u flying to ko samui from as there are 2 airports in bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (the international airport) and
    Don Mueang

#2 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Assuming you are flying in to and out of Suvarnabhumi I would say it's probably not worth it. Traffic in the late afternoon will just flat out suck. During the day it will just be bad. You will have to find a place to store your bags as well, unless you want to hump them around in central Bangkok. As I rule, if I were planning this for myself, I would never schedule a flight out of Bangkok the same day I arrive - especially if I had a long flight getting there, which is pretty much the norm. I once did the duffel bag drag to get home the same day I landed in Bangkok, and while I was glad I did so (I missed my daughter terribly) it was a long, long trip and I was exhausted long before I got to Mukdahan.

#3 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:07

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

i agree with madmac , if i was you i would book into a hotel close to the airport so u can rest shower and eat , i normaly use a hotel called Sananwan Palace hotel in Bangpli its about 15 minutes away from the airport the rooms are cheap , i think the rooms start at 250 baht , also there is a swimming pool there and good food

danny

#4 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:33

• ilovetravel-
    ling

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

i fly to and from the same airport suvarnabhumi.
    60 minutes!?! it tooks a lot!!! so maybe it s better if i can just wait at the airport!
    damn!
    thanks

#5 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:36

• ilovetravel-
    ling

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

i ve already booked the flight on the same day so i cant change it because i'd be in ko samui the same day i'll land in bangkok. i hoped the airport was better located so i could visit the city :-( for a while!

#6 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:39

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

what i mean is that you could book in to the hotel ( they do day rates) and just rest and relax for a few hours before heading back to the airport all nice and refreshed for your flight to ko samui

#7 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:42

• ilovetravel-
    ling

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

:-) ok, it sounds good!!! thank you a lot!!!!
    just for information do you know how much is the taxi ride from the bangkok to te center?!

#8 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:45

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

off the top of my head i think its about 350-400 baht each way
    to the hotel i said the taxi ride is about 100 baht
    when using a meter taxi from the airport there is always a 50 baht charge on top of the fare

#9 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 18:55

• manolo7

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2010

hi all,
    I thought there is a sky train now?
    would have to kill 6 hours before my return flight to europe.

#10 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 22:19

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

On this general theme, do yourselves a collective favor and get back to Bangkok at least one full day before you have to leave and stay at least one full day before moving on. Why make it hard on yourselves? No matter where you're going to or coming from, it's probably a long ass flight. A long flight after a long, bus ride or after hanging around the airport for hours just sucks that much more than a long flight. Ditto when arriving. When you don't have to, why do that to yourself?

#11 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 01:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree MM. And it's a good opportunity to do that last minute shopping (if you're a shopper, that is).

#12 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 03:33

• Dutchgirl

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Location Netherlands
    Total reviews: 7

Like Manolo7 I'm curious about the skytrain. Does anyone have any experience with going by skytrain from airport to center? How often does it run? How long does it takes?

#13 Posted: 25/12/2010 - 23:45

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Dear Manolo and Dutchgirl

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/to_from_airport_link_en.php

http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/

#14 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 08:44

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It's a bit late for the OP but the new train link is great if you don't have too much luggage. Trains leave Suvarnabhumi International Airport every 15 minutes or so and it takes about 30 minutes to reach the Phaya Thai BTS stop where there's a connection which will take you to central Bangkok.

Total cost to get into town is about 40B because the new rail link section only costs 15 baht at the moment.

#15 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 13:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That's good news. Will allow you to get through the nasty traffic a lot faster.

#16 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 19:06

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

just for future reference.

tried the SARL City line ~2 weeks ago.
    there are 2 lines:
    - Express line (more expensive, direct to & terminates at Makkasan)
    - City line (cheaper, stops at every station, goes all the way to Phaya Thai)

as #15 said, just under 30min from airport to Phaya Thai (excl waiting time for train). introductory fares are a flat B15 for City line, in future the full fare to Phaya Thai will be B45.

at Suvarnabhumi, the station is at B1F.
    when i was there none of the ticket machines were functioning. just buy your token from the ticket office.
    train/next station announcements are in both Thai & English.

SARL & BTS skytrain stations are linked at Phaya Thai.

if you are staying in the Pratunam area (e.g. Indra Regent, Amari Watergate, Baiyoke), or just want to go to Pratunam market or Platinum Fashion Mall, you can get off at SARL Ratchaprarob station & walk/take a short taxi ride.

for MRT, closest link is between SARL Makkasan & MRT Phetchaburi stations. distance ~300m. construction of a linkway has yet to start, so best only if you are not carrying much & it isn't raining. also not sure how well-lit the route is at night.
    1. at SARL Makkasan station, find the street level exit. you'll be under the SARL tracks.
    2. turn left & follow the tracks. you'll pass motorbike taxi drivers waiting for fares.
    3. at the first road perpendicular to the SARL tracks (Asoke Rd), turn right & go straight. you'll cross the single ground level SRT railway track & then Kamphaeng Phet 7 Rd, towards another group of waiting motorbike taxi drivers.
    4. once past them you'll see MRT Phetchaburi station exit 3.

took me about 4 min carrying a 7kg bag. crossing the railway track & road wasn't a problem - trains on that route are infrequent, & heavy traffic means vehicles are crawling/stationary, easy to weave in between them (just look out for motorbikes).

there were unlaminated A4 sheets of paper stuck to walls & pillars to direct people between the SARL & MRT stations, but not sure how many sheets will survive the next rainstorm... & when construction of the linkway finally starts, the route described above might change as things get shifted around/diverted.

if you continue straight past MRT Phetchaburi station exit 3 for slightly over 200m more, you'll cross Phetchaburi Rd & reach Asoke Pier, where you can hop on the Khlong Saen Saeb canal boats. B13 boat fare from here to Phanfa pier (with change of boats at Pratunam). cheapest & fastest 'jam-less' way from Suvarnabhumi to the Wat Saket/Wat Ratchanadda part of Rattanakosin (e.g. if you stay in a place like Niras Bankoc hostel). Democracy Monument is within walking distance of Phanfa pier too. again, only if you have little to carry & are travelling during daytime when it isn't raining.

#17 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 10:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Car Rental - Bangkok International Airport. ... By Jon_Mak_Mak on 15 May 2007 5 2061 25 May 2007
bangkok international airport storage? ... By translasian on 4 Jul 2006 1 2620 5 Jul 2006
trip advise: 23 days bangkok - laos - ha long - angkor wat ... By wwaegemn on 9 May 2008 3 3589 11 May 2008
International School Bangkok ... By oriana on 26 Jan 2007 1 1860 26 Jan 2007
Bangkok International Film Festival 2011 ... By williamtaylor on 13 Jan 2011 0 3231 13 Jan 2011
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5218 28 Jun 2010
Ha Long Bay or Bangkok? ... By OlaMaz on 28 Dec 2011 6 1920 30 Dec 2011
bangkok airport to Don Meung airport ... By redsquirrel on 7 Sep 2012 0 1472 7 Sep 2012
how long will it take to get from bangkok to vientiane? ... By fariphar on 13 Oct 2009 1 2640 13 Oct 2009
Hanoi international airport to Old Quarter ... By Bello on 11 Sep 2008 2 6170 12 Sep 2008