Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Can I travel around Thailand, while I leave my passport at the embassy?

• suswati37

Click here to learn more about suswati37
    Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all,

Just wondering, I need to get a visa to Myanmar from Bangkok so I need to leave my passport at the embassy. But can I go travelling for that one week whilst it is being processed? I wanted to head up to Chaing mai for a week while this was happening- is this possible? Thanks

#1 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 14:21

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

interesting question, since you will be without your passport whether you stay in bangkok or move around the country. i'd be interested in other people's response to this question too, but in the mean time, if i were to travel around while waiting for a burma visa, i'd definitely want to have a copy of my passport (the title page and the thai visa or visa exemption entry page) and a receipt for the passport from the burmese embassy.

of course, anyone travelling should keep a copy of the title page of their passport somewhere with them but separate from where they keep their passport and also leave a copy at home, so you've already got this, right?

if you plan to cash any travellers checks, be sure to do this before you surrender your passport to the burmese embassy, as you won't be able to cash a TC without your passport.

it used to be that you needed to show your passport to rent a hotel room, but it doesn't seem too many places do that anymore. it is unlikely you'd need the passport to buy a bus or train ticket either.

have you contacted the thai embassy or consulate nearest you and asked for their opinion? if you do, will you post their response here? good luck.

#2 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 14:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would assume a copy and receipt as Somtam suggested should work.

#3 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 19:04

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Several months back the Bangkok Post had an interview with the new head of immigration here. He has a big push going on to bust the criminal element that comes to Thailand to hide out. According to him all hotels and guest houses are to report your stay to immigration within 24 hours. He was hoping for 100% compliance within a short time period. (Smile here) He also stated that all foreigners should carry their passport at all times. Copies would not do. Myself I wouldn't worry to much about it. I haven't heard of anyone being hassled about it. Do what exacto said above and you should be alright. Expecially getting a receipt from the Burmese embassy.

#4 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 07:52

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I already traveled to Chiang Mai while waiting for a visa. The copy was fine and I didn't even need it for a flight or train. explain to anyone the situation and make sure you have your regular home ID with you too if possible. Technically you should have it on you in case of trouble. But if it is life or death and you have a copy they will call your embassy anyway so it is not as if you will be an unknown.

#5 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 12:16

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Neosho "all hotels and guest houses are to report your stay to immigration within 24 hours"

But you can just write any old passport number and name in those guesthouse books!

I've signed in as "The Grimace" with passport number 24601* for chrissake.

They (almost) NEVER check passport docs.

"Yes, this is Phoney Smile Guesthouse. We'd like to report that the Grimace has just checked in with Birdie for short time..."

*Any other Les Miserables fans out there?

#6 Posted: 29/12/2010 - 21:33

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

seriously. Most GH's don't check much. They will let you stay with a passport copy in most cases. If you pay in advance usually no one sweats you.

#7 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 11:09

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Fame in Chumphon took all my details. They did not believe I was the Grimace, no matter how long I held my breath.

I stand corrected.

#8 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 15:38

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

The holding of the breath being so I'd turn purple... and look like Grimace. Am I the only fan of the shake monster around here?

#9 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 19:51

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I could have been a fan - if I knew who he was?! Based on your last comment I'm guessing he's the purple fellow in McD's character lineup??

#10 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 02:22

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

How is Grimace not famous in NZ? Yes he's the big purple wedge shaped thing. He used to be evil, but now he's changed his ways. I think Ronald must've castrated him or something.

Know your Maccas characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimace_(character)#Characters

#11 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 18:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
22 yr old (Will be 23 when i leave) Female looking for travel mate in Thailand ... By Giselle1987 on 14 Feb 2010 3 2010 4 Mar 2010
Where should I get passport pages before I leave for SE ASia? ... By TennisHaus on 19 Jul 2010 6 2020 21 Jul 2010