Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

what island to go to

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Hi there i know there has been similar posts and i know its a pretty open question which island or what beach to go to? depending on what you are looking for? I have had a look at the island selection but im still undecided can any one recommend. we are a group of 6 people and are looking for something middle of the road eg not to busy yet no to quiet. ive been to ko pangan, and ko samet so would like to try somwhere different, phuket does not appeal, nor ko sumui i feel it would be to touristy, does anyone reccomend ko chang or ko lipe cheers lorna.

#1 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 04:18

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi Lorna, what time of the year are you going? Are you leaving from Bangkok or somewhere else? I have stayed on Chang three times now and once on Lipe. Enjoyed myself at both, but they are quite different styles. Chang is larger with more infrastructure and easier to get via BKK. Fly or bus to Trat then head over. Lipe is a little more involved to get to. I went via Hat Yai then minibus to Pak Bara pier then speed boat to Lipe. Theres also a ferry from Langkawi or head down via Trang islands on Tigerline ferry. Not sure what your interest are but the diving swimming snorkelling I think imho is better at Lipe or the Andaman sea side than Chang or Mak, etc. Food wise Chang has a larger variety being a much bigger island and range of tourists etc. Don't know wether this helps or not but any questions ask away.
    cheers
    swag

#2 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 05:48

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Hi swag thanks for your response and info we are going over this feb and probably going from bkk or flying from chiang mia south, not to sure yet depending whether we go to laos or not, id figured it may be a bit more difficult and time consuming to get to ko lipe than ko chang where in ko chang did you enjoy? as from reading their seems to be quite a few resorts and beaches to go to cheers lorna

#3 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 09:18

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi Lorna as I am a bit of a flashpacker/midrange spender not sure if were I stayed is up your alley . Lonely beach enjoyed Siam Beach resort as it's a bit quieter. Khlong Prao beach have now stayed a few times at Chai Chet Bungalows. They have some great quiet shaded concrete bungalows on the headland so you get a great sunset from your balcony. Numbers 2-6 from memory were the best. It's a bit of a walk to the beach but I suppose that's why there a bit cheaper but they have since added a great pool. Bonus is very good mid priced seafood here. Also if your staying here Ka Ti restaurant run by the lovely Ning further down the road is fantastic.
    cheers
    swag
    p.s also from Chang you head via Bang Bao slow boat to Koh Mak if Chang seems a bit busy. We had a few days on Chang then went to Koh Mak resort for a week although I see they have put their prices up quite a bit. Very good food here and well run. They will also do a cash advance for a fee if you get short.

#4 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 10:23

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

Read up on Hua Hin. See if that place has any interest for you. Easy to get to from Bangkok.

#5 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 20:24

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Forget Hua Hin nothing much there.

Koh Chang is a good choice. Big island with plenty of beaches, a good waterfall and you can do a boat trip south to check out other islands. Medium busy with some nice food and laid back nightlife.

#6 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 21:48

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Thanks Koh chang seems to be a good base for exploring the other islands as you mentioned and lots of beaches to choose from sounds good. Hua Hin i think would be fine for a weekend break away from bkk but we are hoping for at least 4-5-6 days on beach, and 3 weeks in thailand we should defo have time for this. We are heading to chang mia then poss over to laos if we do not get their the other option was to fly south from CM to Phuket any good recommendations around that area pref not Phuket itself though cheers lorna

#7 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 00:55

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Not too busy, not too quiet. I'm thinking Lanta.

#8 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 14:34

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Lanta is very quiet unless you go xmas time.

#9 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 18:32

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

My vote is also on Lanta. You can fly to Phuket and get a ferry there.

#10 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 08:38

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.