Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Chumphon - Getting from the pier to anywhere else in Chumphon?!?

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'm marooned about 3km from the pier at Chumphon. I want to head towards BKK, but I'm not taking a 9 hour overnight bus because it's a horrid way to travel.

I have some time, so I think the best way to break up the journey is to take the train to somewhere halfway like Hua Hin.

My question is:

How do you get from the (Pak Nam) pier to the train station in Chumphon?

There don't seem to be any local buses or places to rent bikes or much of ANYTHING near the pier and I'm loathe to blow my daily budget on a taxi.

PS I am talking about the pier at Pak Nam that the travel co. Songserm uses.

#1 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 15:29

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Err... nevermind. Despite what some of the guest house staff said, there was a bus to the train station that ran right past the front. If you ever want to know about bus routes in Thailand, cross reference the opinions of about 3-4 locals.

#2 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 20:55

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Dearest Cranky. :-)

Just curious. How on earth did you manage to get marooned 3 km from the Songserm pier? Why didn't you just get on the transport that Songserm provides to the train station? It's included in the ferry ticket price!

#3 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 20:29

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@SBE - They didn't tell this little white farang about that! It seemed like you either hung around at the wharf and got the 9 hour overnight bus to Bangkok, which would have turned me into a zombie, or you were on your own in the middle of nowhere.

I did kind of just leg it out of there after the boat arrived since I never wanted to see the sea again at that point (the boat stalled twice in the Gulf of Thailand between Ko Tao and Chumphon, without so much as a peep out of the PA system to tell us what was going on/how long we'd be aimlessly adrift).

This was my first semi-long boat trip in Thailand, and I found the Thai have even found a way to drive recklessly ON WATER! I thought the boat was going to capsize for sure about half a dozen times, and I'd say there were only about three people on board, out of 12, that didn't feel sea sick the whole way.

Anyway, after walking around with 20kgs worth of backpack on my back, and stopping off to charge my iPhone in some no frills girlie bar with Burmese imports, I waved my little white flag and trudged back to the wharf, begging for mercy. They said there was a guesthouse nearby that would pick me up and cart my weary bones back to 2 star luxury. Just 4 times the price of the cheapie joints in town, it turned out. It was totally worth it - I have never enjoyed a hot shower and clean sheets more than I did that night.

Anyway, the staff there said the only way to get to the train station was to catch a 200thb taxi to 'the market' and get the bus from there. Luckily I asked someone else who had a clue about public transport and alerted me to the local bus that passed the front door.

THAT is how I came to be marooned 3km from the wharf.

#4 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 21:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Anyone been to "chumphon" ? ... By allison1 on 22 Oct 2007 0 1887 22 Oct 2007
Ko pha ngan to chumphon? ... By kiwigirl08 on 17 Oct 2009 3 2385 17 Oct 2009
Best way to get to Chumphon from Sangkhlaburi? ... By BTone on 28 Mar 2011 6 2079 29 Mar 2011
bus-bkk to chumphon, times ... By mitchell on 29 Jun 2009 6 5282 1 Jul 2009
Por Ta Hin Chang Market in Chumphon ... By Durianwriter on 10 Mar 2014 4 218 11 Mar 2014
Chumphon advice - READ WELL ... By hutty on 8 Oct 2010 0 1575 8 Oct 2010
NYE in... Chumphon? My great stuff-up ... By CrankyCarrot on 31 Dec 2010 24 2942 12 Jan 2011
Train from Chumphon to Kanchanaburi ... By karyn on 5 Jul 2006 8 9119 2 May 2010
Penang to Chumphon - How to commute? ... By Greatlookinguy on 6 Nov 2012 3 2115 7 Nov 2012
getting from chumphon to Singapore via rail. ... By lillozza on 14 Feb 2013 4 2142 20 Feb 2013