Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Is there any way to get a ticket on a sold out ferry?

• catherinef

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

Is there such a thing as a ferry ticket scalper?

I need to get on a boat from Samui to Koh Tao tomorrow (Jan 3), and just discovered that all the boats are full.

Can anyone suggest anything? Anyone willing to sell one ticket? Any ideas?

Ack!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 11:48

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

They don't sell out do they? I thought they just add more and more people until there's no more money to be made. I got the boat from Samui to Tao and that was packed to the rafters. There were literally people falling from the roof.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 12:43

• catherinef

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

That it what i thought too. Apparently they do! When I went to get a ticket, they said it was sold out. Did this happen for you, and you hopped on anyway?

#3 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 12:48

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Have you tried all the companies that operate (or both of them...)?

#4 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 13:18

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Cath - I booked a ticket with about 10 mins to spare through an agency 5 mins from the pier. The boat didn't leave until after 1.15pm (scheduled for 12.30pm) and it was absolutely crammed - when you do get a ticket and it looks like it's filling up, pay the 30thb extra to sit in the A/C VIP room. It's worth it just to not be trod on.

I used Songserm. I thought about advising you to just get on stow away, but they were pretty good about checking for stickers and tickets at the gang plank. It'd be hard to sneak on - at least on the Songserm one.

#5 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 14:39

• catherinef

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

Thanks you two. Absolutely everything is booked up. No one is selling tickets at the piers. I tried every route imaginable.

For anyone else in this situation, I did successfully find a way just now -- I booked myself one way on a snorkel trip. Not the cheapest of all the options for sure, but it will get me there.

#6 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 15:29

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Snorkel trip. That's a good idea. Either that or you could just swim... and err, get all your belongings wet. They did it in The Beach, but I don't think Leo was packing a laptop.

I'm surprised it's still all booked up now. I got squeezed out of Phangnan on NYE due to a lack of accom, and it's been rough getting transport out of Chumphon. Tomorrow is the last Thai holiday as I understand it, so that's probably a big factor.

#7 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 15:37

• catherinef

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

Ha! Swimming would have been my next option.

This busy ness was a surprise to me too. I thought ahead by booking a place to sleep bc of the Thai holiday, but ferries never occurred to me. Sigh.

Good luck to you, Carrot!

#8 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 17:38

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

This little orange carrot's gonna be on the 6am train outta Chumphon tomorrow. Shame really, I just found a cafe I like.

#9 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 19:48

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Ooh mai pen rai. I found another one I like here in Prachuap :)

#10 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 21:02

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train/ferry ticket combo help ... By shaungt08 on 5 Mar 2013 2 1774 7 Mar 2013