Thailand forum

Plastic Bags and Bottles

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

If you are travelling in South East Asia, you can't fail to notice the amount of plastic bags you are given in one day, not to mention the amount of plastic bottles you consume each day.

I wrote a short article which is full of tips of how to minimise your contribution to this huge problem. They are simple, easy to follow and really wont take any time atall.

Please pass these tips on and take moment to explain to your fellow travellers how they can help too.

http://www.master-divers.com/plastic.htm

#1 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 11:57

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I agree with you sexy woman (and anyone with the name Ayesha or Aisha has to be sexy) and have long since stopped accepting plastic bags unless I really do need one. But understand that the tourism addition to this problem is a drop in the sand. My wife's village, which has never had a tourist within five kilometers of it, and precious few with 100 kilometers, is strewn with plastic trash. The indigenous persons just don't seem to care.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 10:48

• Langley

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

shall i catch a man a fish or teach him how?

#3 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 15:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I think he'd prefer you just give him some whisky.

#4 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 21:11

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Every plastic bag refused is a victory ... I know its not just about the visitors but they can help !

And visitors can certainly vote with their feet or wallets .....

Certainly they can try to explain about water refill stations too......

#5 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 09:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Ayesha
    I don't disagree with the sentiment, and indeed I agree. As long as we are realistic in our expectations. Thai's will change and will come (are coming) to value their environment more. But it will happen at their pace, not ours. I refuse them for the same reasons you do, but I am under no illusions it will make a meaningful difference. If every tourist adopted your viewpoint, it still wouldn't make a big difference I'm afraid. Maybe in a few select locations though.

#6 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 17:28

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Got to agree with Madmac on this one. I live in one of those trash strewn villages. We have a large trash bin at the door to our store and you should see our yard. Terrible to say the least. Once a week they watch me sweep everything up (including the intersection) but nothing changes. It looks the same within a week. So leading by example takes a while.

#7 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 07:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.