Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Plastic Bags and Bottles

Posted by ayesha on 2/1/2011 at 11:57 TF writer

If you are travelling in South East Asia, you can't fail to notice the amount of plastic bags you are given in one day, not to mention the amount of plastic bottles you consume each day.

I wrote a short article which is full of tips of how to minimise your contribution to this huge problem. They are simple, easy to follow and really wont take any time atall.

Please pass these tips on and take moment to explain to your fellow travellers how they can help too.

http://www.master-divers.com/plastic.htm

#1 ayesha has been a member since 12/6/2009. Location: Thailand. Posts: 74
 Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by MADMAC on 3/1/2011 at 10:48

I agree with you sexy woman (and anyone with the name Ayesha or Aisha has to be sexy) and have long since stopped accepting plastic bags unless I really do need one. But understand that the tourism addition to this problem is a drop in the sand. My wife's village, which has never had a tourist within five kilometers of it, and precious few with 100 kilometers, is strewn with plastic trash. The indigenous persons just don't seem to care.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Langley on 3/1/2011 at 15:48

shall i catch a man a fish or teach him how?

#3 Langley has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by MADMAC on 3/1/2011 at 21:11

I think he'd prefer you just give him some whisky.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by ayesha on 4/1/2011 at 09:37 TF writer

Every plastic bag refused is a victory ... I know its not just about the visitors but they can help !

And visitors can certainly vote with their feet or wallets .....

Certainly they can try to explain about water refill stations too......

#5 ayesha has been a member since 12/6/2009. Location: Thailand. Posts: 74
 Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by MADMAC on 4/1/2011 at 17:28

Ayesha
I don't disagree with the sentiment, and indeed I agree. As long as we are realistic in our expectations. Thai's will change and will come (are coming) to value their environment more. But it will happen at their pace, not ours. I refuse them for the same reasons you do, but I am under no illusions it will make a meaningful difference. If every tourist adopted your viewpoint, it still wouldn't make a big difference I'm afraid. Maybe in a few select locations though.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by neosho on 5/1/2011 at 07:49

Got to agree with Madmac on this one. I live in one of those trash strewn villages. We have a large trash bin at the door to our store and you should see our yard. Terrible to say the least. Once a week they watch me sweep everything up (including the intersection) but nothing changes. It looks the same within a week. So leading by example takes a while.

#7 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.