Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Diving Where and Why

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

Im looking to do some diving!

been 3-4 times before and done some sort of Padi course but never in south-east asia, was hoping to get some more extensive experience, perhaps a 3day+ course but i've been a little overwhelmed by all the different sites found on-line!

Was probably thinking of going to Koh Tao as it sounds awesome there but any help with where to find a good operator would be much appreciated!

As would a Bargain!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi what time of year will you be in Thailand. Have a look at the interactive Thai weather map on this site. That will give you some idea of which side will be best for the weather. Being either Gulf side Koh Tai etc or Andaman sea side such as Koh Lanta or the Trang islands ets.

You mentioned you have done some sort of course. This sounds a bit vague. You might be better to do a 4 day open water course and go from there.

In regard to prices unless you are going on a liveaboard you'll find the prices all very similar in Thailand. So the choice gets down to the dive shop you feel comfortable with. Dive shops come and go. Sometimes the hire gear has seen better days. Best to go in and have a chat when you get somewhere,have a look at the gear and if you feel comfortable go for it.

As a personal choice I prefer the Andaman sea side like Koh Lanta/Lipe or the Similan islands for the quality. That's not to say Koh Tao doesn't have great diving just a personal preference. Koh Tao has a bit of a reputation as a party island but hey if your young want to dive then party great.

All the best
    swag

#2 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 06:34

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

was planning to go in feb or march,

my previous dive experience's have all been short tourist dives with minimal training and no depth so im still a beginner!

open water course seems the way to go!

Guess i'll just scope out a few places on my travels until i find somewhere that takes my Fancy!

#3 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 16:21

• Danwowski

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2009

If cost is a consideration then Koh Tao has some of the cheapest open water courses around, while still having good quality tuition. In my experience prices are higher on the Andaman coast, but the diving there has a reputation for being more spectacular.

However, as a (relative) beginner you will probably experience similar sites on either coast. Wherever you learn the best thing you can do is ask around for recommendations for good dive schools. Then go and have a chat with the instructors, look at the quality of hire kit etc.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 05:56

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

The Andaman side is much better for diving. It is where the Similans and Surin islands are, as well as Richelieu Rock. These are very famous dive sites, and in my opinion much more beautiful than anything you will see off Koh Tao. But Koh Tao is cheaper.
    If you go to Khao Lak you will find all of the major dive centers doing this area and can even do a liveaboard.
    If price is a factor than go to Koh Tao, if quality/beauty is then go to Khao Lak.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 09:28

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

Thanks everyone, thats all i needed to know,

#6 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 19:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.