Thailand forum

Good Times in Prachuap Khiri Khan

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'm still trying to spell that right.

Anyway, on the advice of fellow Travelfish Captain Bob and Swag I'm checking out PKK on the way to BKK, and I have a couple of questions about it:

1. This monkey temple I'm hearing about - is that this one up on the hill I can see from the beach end of the street with the railway station on it?
    eg;
    http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/crankycarrot/pkktemplehill.jpg

2. I love monkeys, but rabies... not so much. What's the best way to avoid a nasty bite when I'm fooling with the lil critters? Madmac? What protective garmentsn would you suggest?

3. Ao Manao looks like an awesome beach. I hear you have to sign into some military base to get to it though. Can I drive a motorbike through this checkpoint and park near the sand? Do you have to pay?

4. Where can I get a cheap bike rental (say 150-200 thb) for a motorbike? Or how about a push bike?

5. Is there any gym nearby? I'm getting too weedy from all this sitting around and eating nout but smokie bites and chuppa chups all day.

6. Is there anywhere else anyone would recommend staying on the way to BKK?

Thks

#1 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 22:15

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Ok, I've been lazy. Simply asking the staff downstairs at Yutichai Hotel has answered Q's 1,3 and 4.

If anyone needs to know;

1. Yes, that's monkey temple. "There have bad monkey" according to the staff. Ao Manao has much friendlier monkeys with rings around their eyes.

3. You can drive to Ao Manao through the base. You have to write your passport details, but don't have to take any docs with you. Just remember your numbers, or make them up I guess.

4. Yutichai rents Hondas for 150thb. A place around the corner has pushies for
    thb.

Still need answers on the rest though, guys and gals.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 22:45

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Err.. as for 5. There's a swimming pool nearby with a weights room, from what I can ascertain. The staff said it's called "Ben and Bee" or something.

I can't find any public pools or anything with those details in Google/Google Maps though.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2011 - 22:50

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Glad to hear you like it. Personally I wouldn,t be touching any of those monkeys. They have mighty big teeth and seemed pretty aggressive to me. People will try to get you to buy stuff to feed them, but it just seemed a bit careless considering the rabies etc. Better to the beach and enjoy some of the great seafood.

If you go the other way around the bay on your motorbike there a couple of great cheap restaurants right on the beach on the otherside of the road. Had some fantastic deep fried squid wirh fried whole garlic gloves. Really good

#4 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 06:05

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'll give em a few bits of my smokie bite if I have to, but I didn't buy pineapple for the Chang in Patong and I'm not buying peanuts for monkeys.

If they're lucky I'll take up a bunch of bananas later... Also, I noticed at monkey school they like Chuppa Chups almost as much as I do, so maybe I'll soften up those sharp teeth with a bit of enamel-rotting sugar.

I'm not so fond of seafood, besides your basic fish'n'chip special, and I don't like eating anything that looks like it comes from my nightmares, like squid.

What does squid taste like anyway?

#5 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 11:29

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Last time I climbed up to that monkey temple they were quite forceful in cluttering around the entrance in an obvious plea for food, probably the bananas sold at stalls at the bottom of the stairs. We didn't bring any, but managed to walk softly in and have a good look around. Just keep an eye upwards in case you wander into the shadow of an ambush point. When we went to leave they surrounded my Ms. and got really intimidating as in "you're goin nowhere until we get some treats" but again we just eased our way out the gate and gave them some distance. Nasty little bastards, but you gotta see the views from the top. Now go eat some squid rings (think "calamari") and you'll be on your way to PKK "expert" status ;-)

#6 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 12:11

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Eat squid, become a PKK pro... I don't know if I can do that. I guess I could give it a try for s--ts and giggles. What are they, like 10baht a squid? I always thought squid were bigger than that too. These ones are about as big as a glove.

The idea of being surrounded by thug monkeys just sounds hilarious to me, but I get the feeling I should be taking them more seriously than I am. I figure if I wear jeans to protect my legs from idle snaps and swipes, I should be fine (I'm 6'3" - can a monkey jump that high from the ground?)

As for snacks, I can just get a bunch of nanas for 20 baht and share em around. That oughta placate those wily monkeys.

#7 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 12:32

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Also highly recommend a daytrip visit to Khao Sam Roi Yot (300 mountain peaks) national park to the north of PKK (or can be done from Hua Hin to the north). You'll need your own motorbike then go up (or down) the highway until you see the well signposted turnoff. Some nice lonely riding out to the coast then look for Hat Laem Sala (peninsular beach with famous "sala" from Rama V's historic visit). Follow the others to the parking area and do the hike (woosies do it by boat) up and over the seaside rocky hilltop and down through caves to the Royal Sala (pavillion). A sort of pilgrimage most Thais have in their dreambook.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_Sam_Roi_Yot_National_Park

#8 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 12:44

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Well I was just going to tease the monkeys a bit and be on my way to BKK, but maybe I'll give that a look. Cheers again.

PS Any monkeys in Kao Sam Roi Yot?

#9 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 12:56

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Agree with Bob re Khao Sam Roi Yot -- very good viewpoint to climb. There's also accommodation just outside the park entrance on the beach - nice and good value. I don't remember monkeys there, but that frigging viewpoint temple was simian central.

I hate monkeys. Hate them.

Really hate them.

#10 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 13:01

• Advertisement

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Wow, are you Thai Somtam? It seems like Asians with loads of monkeys in their country are the ones that hate them. Usually us white fellas from Australia think they're funny as hell, possibly liking them more because they're so scarce in our home country.

That temple was overrun with monkeys, and me without my pants and shoes decided not to get too close. But then I went to the Ao Manao military base and met the "good fennerly monkeys".

It's true, they were very sociable, didn't bite, and were hilarious with their antics. Must be the breed. They were black with white rings around their eyes. Like this handsome little fellow here:

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/crankycarrot/Monkeysitting.jpg

#11 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 21:22

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Good monkey-spotting. The "Spectacled Langur" aka Dusky Leaf monkey is a good find. I've seen them in the wild on Langkawi but only briefly. Cheeky curious buggers but nowhere near the nastiness of those territorial Macaques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectacled_langur
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaque

#12 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 23:10

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Cool. You know, for something named Trachypithecus 'obscurus', they sure weren't that hard to find.

If anyone else is searching for these critters, just keep an eye out on the military base for the big statues they've built of them. They hang around the stairs there and go ballistic for popcorn, bananas and... maybe dried squid?

These are some friendly monkeys. I played with their tails, petted and hand fed them with no probs. Even the 'big mommas' with babies clinging to their bellies don't get narky when you get near them. I think it would be a different story with the grumpy Macaques.

But why wonder when I can go over and find out this afternoon! Keep the rabies shots on standby...

#13 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 09:38

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey Captain Bob,

What kind of monkey is this guy?

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/crankycarrot/MrTongthemonkey.jpg

He used to hang out at a beach bar in Phuket, but then some dogooders put him back in the wild and he went feral, biting everyone in site. He's banned from the beach bar now.

#14 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 09:45

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Oh God, Macaques carry the Herpes B virus, which can cause encephalitis and death. Great. I'd better put my jeans on.

#15 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 09:52

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

hi Cranky

yes PKK has a gym and an olympic size swimming pool its very easy to get around by bicycle not to much trafic good for day trips to border of mynamar also 3 hundred peak national park -very friendly locals
    If traveling by train may be best to ask a local to interpret the time table

enjoy

boaby

#16 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 09:19

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

do they have markets near the burma border?

#17 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 19:07

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Thanks Boaby, but I left PKK about 6 weeks ago :)

#18 Posted: 4/3/2011 - 14:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hua Hin or Prachuap Khiri Khan? ... By nightowlers on 21 Sep 2011 7 791 21 Sep 2011
Prachuap Khiri Khan or Nakhon Si Thammarat? ... By banana8 on 27 Jul 2010 5 1988 28 Jul 2010
Guesthouses in Prachaup Khiri Khan ... By KirstyB on 10 Dec 2011 0 334 10 Dec 2011
The Times on good websites ... By somtam2000 on 14 Jul 2006 0 1795 14 Jul 2006