Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

THAILAND: Jungle and islands - Islands and more islands

• Johncattle

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Hi

I recently found a guide to a 4 week travel holiday to Thailand in the travelfish planning section

I'm planning on doing this trip in May, 1st to the 29th, and just wanted some advice on a few things

1. Budget, how much money would you recommend? Would £1500/70,000 baht be enough? That's about £50 per day? That has to include accomadation, which I'm not planning on 5 star hotels

2. Weather, will it be too hot to be enjoyable? I don't mind the heat

3. Any other advice, general advice, places to go, things to see?

Thank you in advance

John

#1 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 02:24

• Advertisement

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hi, where abouts did you find this guide, would you be able to post the link to this trip...

is it a pre-arrange trip with a tour guide and/or group?

what does the trip consist of?

thanks

#2 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 12:11

• Johncattle

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Here is the link

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-jungle-islands

Sorry I didn't post it to begin with, and no it's not a pre arranged trip with a tour guide or anything like that, just a month travelling on my own, a few trips/excursions here and there, but mostly chillin on the beaches on the islands [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your reply/help

John

#3 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 17:07

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

sounds like you'll have an amazing time on that budget, thats more than enough! especiall seeing as you wont be in 5star hotels, you will still be able to get some nice places to stay on that budget and you could even push the boat out and get air condition rooms, thats what i did and I had a 1000 pounds for a month in thailand I actually did it from april - may last year, it is the hottest time of the year so you might need the air conditioning to get to sleep at night, but on the other hand you'll have great weather as its not the rainy season plus it wont be peak season either so you wont have the problem of things like accommodation costing twice as much, in other words I think its pretty much a great time of year for your trip!

#4 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 04:26

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

thanks for posting that up, i was actually in that section but never paid attention to the "itinerary advice" area...

for someone like me, it'll be a 1st time going to SE Asia, 1st back packing, and most likely 1st travelling solo, and i guess something like those will give a good idea of what to do, since i myself have no idea what i'm gonna do there or where i will go... i plan on staying in SE Asia for 3 months...

but just wondering, if anyone has done any of these travel guides, and/or have any suggestions/feed-back as well...

and which ones would you guys suggest, seeing if i go for 3 months, like to visit more than 1 country, since countries like thailand will only allow a 30 day visa stay, correct? so i can't stay there for-ever....

thanks

#5 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 12:06

• Johncattle

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Cheers for ur reply lechron, u sound like a veteran traveller!

is it easy to find accomadation once I'm out there? I will probly be booking somewhere in Bangkok so I have a place initially, but it will be the first time I have done travelling and finding somewhere to stay I think will be the biggest challenge,

and when does the monsoon/rainy season start, I thought it was may/June time??? Also if any fellow travellers is out there in may time would be nice to meet up, share advice and such!

Much love John

#6 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 19:59

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

haha thank you John but im far from a veteran, its just that first trip i did last year happened to be very similar to yours, you are correct it is meant to be be rainy season but its just the very start of it and my personal experience was dry pretty much most of the time and when it did rain on the odd occasion it was literally just showers that would last a short while and it would dry up pretty quick, im sure it wont effect your trip too much!

Also on the other note I did the same with pre-booking a place for the first night in bangkok in order to have a comfy intro to the adventure ; )
    although it is very easy to find accommodation (specially when its not high season) I usually would use the internet of the hostel I was at to check out hostels and prices for the next place I went and on most occasions would pre-book online (probably not very adventurous and spontaneous of me but it gave me peace of mind lol) but do what makes you feel comfortable, it will also be easy to find accommodation at the places once your there too!

As to being there the same time as you..........I WISH!!!!

Enjoy mate you'll have a great time!

#7 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 20:43

• Johncattle

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Yer hope I do enjoy, can't wait!

Does anyone reading this have any experience with hostels/guest houses/cheap hotels in any of these locations

Bangkok
    Kanchanaburi
    Sangkhlaburi
    Chomphon
    Ko samui (and surrounding islands)

I have seen travelfishes reviews but would stil like addition info if anyone has any, very much appreciated

This is a great forum/website, cheers travellfish

John

#8 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 23:13

• LeChron

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

One last post and i'll stop bombarding you ; )

When I stayed in Bangkok i stayed in a place called Lub'd heres a link to there site http://www.lubd.com/ was pretty cool place with a good atmosphere and reletivly cheap and it wasn't on kosang rd as I didnt want to be right in the middle of it all, although Kosang rd is always a good option if your looking for a place on the day as it has lots of tourist friendly hostel all in one place

I didnt go to Ko Samui but I did go to Ko Tao and Kopanang (pls exuse my spelling) and I cant remeber exactly the name of the place i stayed in ko tao but it was around 8pound a night for two people so it was 4pound each and that was with air con, and my other piece of advice is that kopanang is worth pre booking a place if your going for the full moon party which is on Had Riin beach and the nearer had riin tou are the more expensive the places will get (even tho its still not expensive compared to western prices) hope that helps a little

Peace : )

#9 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 04:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gili Islands, Perenhian Islands, Yucatan or Golf of Thailand ... By travelinchen on 6 May 2011 4 2617 7 May 2011
Cambodia Islands (Gulf of Kompong Som) or SE Thailand Islands? ... By pucca_girl45 on 4 Dec 2012 2 2125 26 Dec 2012
CHRISTMAS HONEYMOON ON THAI ISLANDS WHICH ISLANDS DO YOU RECOMMEND ... By Warriorcandy on 1 Dec 2011 1 1017 4 Dec 2011
Similian Islands vs Surin Islands ... By Fluffydog on 20 Feb 2012 0 1221 20 Feb 2012
what islands to do in thailand ... By irishguy on 11 Mar 2006 7 1737 28 Mar 2006
Thailand Islands ... By ltran on 17 Apr 2011 5 2296 21 Apr 2011
Interesting Islands Off Thailand?? ... By OceanGazer on 6 Aug 2012 3 1391 7 Aug 2012
1 week in Thailand Islands ... By Islandseeker on 10 Aug 2013 3 1055 13 Aug 2013
Thailand Islands/Beaches ... By Jacqueline16 on 3 Apr 2014 11 921 8 Apr 2014
Trash on Thailand's islands ... By travelfishnews on 13 Aug 2009 0 2441 13 Aug 2009