Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

quick trips from BKK

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

We are travelling in Thailand early Jan 2007. We will have about 5-6 nights around BKK visiting friends, but we would like to go somewhere we haven't been yet that is an easy trip (3-4hrs) from Bkk. We have been to Kanchnaburi and Ayuttaya many times, and to Ko Samet a lot. We want something different to a beach trip (we will have been to Krabi already). Maybe cool temples. I was thinking of Lopburi but is there are better option?

#1 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 17:21

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Alison,

Since you've exhausted the obvious (and excellent) options of Auytthaya, Kanchanaburi and Samet, Lopburi is certainly a good choic. It is easy to get to by train or bus, and has a good mix of temples, ruins and museums. Plus, there is the monkey circle there, which some folks like but I don't recommend. If you are looking to push on just a bit farther, Phimai, just outside of Korat, is a charming little town with a first rate, albeit small, Angkor-era temple.

If it is the monkeys rather than the ruins you are after, Khao Yai National Park is about the same distance from BKK as Lopburi, but you'd really need your own transport or to hire a guide to do it properly.

Given the well-developed domestic air travel system in Thailand and depending on your budget, you could also fly up to signficiant and exotic cultural destinations like Sukhothai, Mae Hong Son, or even Luang Prabang.

And finally, Chiang Mai and surrounds, including great getaways like Chiang Dao, make for an excellent long-weekend out of BKK. So many choices. Cheers.

p.s. perhaps somtam will add to this list with ideas on one of his favorite destinations, sangkhlaburi.

#2 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 22:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

This is an old story, from a trip we did yonks ago, but the "firefly" trips have become more popular in the last few years. Worth a look if time allows -- I can try and did out some more useful contact information, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll see what I can find.

Samut Songkhram fireflies.

As exacto mentioned, there's always Sangkhlaburi -- but it's a good deal further than 3-4 hours from Bangkok.

Another spot I like is Phetburi -- lots of temples, a national park and Thai-style beachs -- and hardly a tourist in sight

#3 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 22:49

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks a lot!
    There are certainly a good few choices in there... all sound good, how to choose?
    ALISON

#4 Posted: 3/1/2007 - 17:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.