Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lamphu House or Rambuttri Village Inn

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Trying to decide between Rambuttri Village Inn and Lamphu House. Both seem to get great reviews. Rambuttri has a pool but Lamphu seems to have gotten better reviews. Quoted 570 Baht for Lamphu and 700 Baht for Rambuttri.

Any insight? Suggestions?

#1 Posted: 13/12/2006 - 04:43

• Advertisement

• Nomad

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2006

The Staff at Rambuttri suck.

#2 Posted: 14/12/2006 - 18:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Lamphu consistently gets better feedback than Rambuttri, but the latter does has a pool...

#3 Posted: 14/12/2006 - 23:26

• KatieMP

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

We stayed in Lamphu for one night, we were supposed to stay for two or three. Our room had ants all over the bed. When we told them they seemed very "put out" to find us a new room, that room right next door also had ants everywhere, all around the bed. So what did they do? They sprayed raid around the bed and ON the bed. We came back an hour later hoping the smell would have disappated but of course it hadn't and there were no other rooms available, of course, because it is in the lonely planet book. They showed no sign of apology, instead they said we had to tell them that minute if we were going to stay or not. Ignoring them we went next door to Rambuttri (9 pm at night) to see if they had a clean room available and sure enough they did! We paid 200 B (for us only a difference of $5) more for the night but it was much cleaner, it was bigger and it had staff that did not give us a hard time. They are located directly next door to each other.

It is a shocker being dropped off in the Ko San Road area especially at night. This was NOT a good first impression of Thailand. To get a better impression and receive less culture shock, head to the Thewet area. There are a series of guest houses there run by the same family. They are located within a 10 minute walk of the pier where you can catch an express boat to places like the Grand Palace and the central pier which has a skytrain station conveniently located right there. There is a great little local market and wonderful hawker stalls in the area. Take a day trip to the Ko San Road area instead and avoid the farangs that embarass the rest of us. Thewet is more popular with the 30 and up crowd and families. Muuuuch better!

#4 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 02:03

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I stayed at the Lamphu House only a couple of weeks ago.
    It also has a pool.
    No problems with any ants, or anything else for that matter.
    The staff were top notch, extremely helpful, especially the old dude behind the reception who always seems to be working.
    Reassonably priced and close to backpacker central.

#5 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 13:34

• mysticpaki

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2006

Hi Sparts
    How much did you pay for an aircondition room?
    Did you make any booking in advance ill be there end of november
    Thanks
    You can email me on fate72@hotmail.com
    Cheers
    Eddie

#6 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 15:53

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Hi MysticPaki

I think we paid around 1400 baht(around 25gbp) for a standard room (I think they all it superior). The prices are less expensive to book in advance via the web, which is what we did. You could also haggle with them a bit, but we didn't bother as we were just glad to have some where to stay on our first few nights.

I would recommend the tree house to anyone.

#7 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 14:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Thewet is more popular with the 30 and up crowd and families. Muuuuch better!"

If you're 30 and up or have a family in tow.

Remember, different strokes for different folks. We aren't all the same. Bruce here likes to walk around Laotian towns, eat Laotian food, "talk" with locals (to the extent that's possible) and just "be" in Laos. For me, this is a nightmare.

I don't get the attraction to that place, he doesn't understand my attraction to Thai cities. That's because we're different people with different tastes.

"It is a shocker being dropped off in the Ko San Road area especially at night. This was NOT a good first impression of Thailand."

But maybe at least a partially accurrate one. Thailand isn't just temples and monks and nature scenes. And Thai people are not just passive, smiling peaceniks.

#8 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 15:08

• courthag

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2009

I think your getting Lamphu house and Lamphu tree house confused. They are two different hotels...

#9 Posted: 6/8/2009 - 23:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Black Kitten Lamphu House ... By jldm on 23 Oct 2006 1 1307 3 May 2007