Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

New hostel in Ao Nang

• Thaiwanderer

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2011

Just got back from Ao Nang /Phi-Phi. I stayed in a newly opened hostel in Ao Nang called Krabi Hostel. I hadn't seen it on any web sites at that time but it was on the main street, near to the post office. (Now I just found it when I Googled the name)

The owner is a Brit - nice guy and the hostel has dorms and private rooms on 5 floors. I stayed for 2 nights in a 4-person dorm (no other guests in that room) for 350 baht a night. There was a hot shower, fridge, TV, free water and towels etc. The place was very clean throughout, which it should be as a newly opened hostel. The private air-con rooms are about 850 baht per night (I think).

Downstairs in reception there is a large TV, and wall maps of Thailand for planning your onward journey. Thai wife of the owner cooks British breakfasts. I was able to use their free wi-fi without problem. I asked about luggage storage and they have a large and secure storage area where you can leave rucsacs and suitcases for a small charge.

Outside, they have a patio area with multi-colored tables and chairs and a lot of plants - pretty. The hostel was open all day/night.

The owner was hot on safety and he has fitted the hostel with smoke detectors, emergency lights, fire extinguishers.

Plus points - Clean, modern, friendly, accessible to all shops, banks, restaurants, on the road where the airport bus runs.

Minus points - As it's completely new, it still needs to get a good atmosphere going. But I reckon this won't take long, based on the friendly owner and reasonable prices for that part of Thailand

John

#1 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 09:52

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

350 baht for a dorm room is expensive. You can get double rooms for 500 to 700 baht.

You sound like the owner by the way.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 20:00

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

haha funny Krabiman, definitely he's the owner otherwise you wouldn't give such detailed information.
    He's just trying to get his business going, probably never check it out as 350 for dorms is too expensive anyway (although maybe not on phi phi).
    Still can't figure out why it's all so expensive down south, just because of the tourists I guess.
    In the north I can stay for 200 baht in like double rooms with tv-aircon ... whatever. no islands for me!

#3 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 22:42

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Where do you get these 200 baht aircon rooms?

Name some guesthouses and locations.

I've never seen one below 300 baht in the north or north east in the past 3 years.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 18:34

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

nong khai and udon thani! walk around and check out hotels that the locals are going to. works every time for me, don't really remember names. there is 1 in udon thani (Udon Mansion) which gave me an aircon, tv, fridge, ... for 230 last time

I even found apartments in Udon for 3000 baht/month with aircon, tv and wifi :) .
    check out this http://www.aekudonapartment.com cheap as hell

#5 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 18:28

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Monthly rates dont count so really you only named 1.

Some people want beach holidays though and aircon rooms in the beach areas tend to be 500 baht and up.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 06:24

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Certainly sounds like the owner doesn't it! Owner-plugged places always mention that the owner is "a nice guy"!

#7 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 16:22

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Certainly sounds like the owner doesn't it! Owner-plugged places always mention that the owner is "a nice guy"!

#8 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 16:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.