Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi itinerary help - first time back since tsunami

• ashleyr

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2010

I've been researching my upcoming trip and have been loving this site so figured all of you would be able to help me out....

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Krabi region for early/mid April for 9 nights (I wish we had more time). I've been to Phuket and Koh Phi Phi before and he's never been to Asia. I was actually on Koh Phi Phi during the tsunami and barely escaped with my life (but did come home with a broken pelvis)....and have been wanting to come back ever since, mostly because I fell in love with the place and also want some closure to the whole ordeal :)

We'd like to see Railay, Koh Phi Phi, and Koh Lanta. Since he's never been to Asia I want to show him the beautiful landscapes of Railay and Phi Phi, but then figured there's more to do on Lanta so was thinking of maybe 2 nights in Railay and Koh Phi Phi, then 5 on Phra-Ae (Long Beach) or Kantiang Bay on Lanta. Or maybe switch out a night on Lanta for 3 on Phi Phi. Does this sound about right? Is Railay worth it or should we just split our time between Phi Phi and Lanta?

We are late 20s, like to have some drinks and party and meet fellow travellers, but not necessarily be out all night. Generally we'd like chill, get massages, go on snorkeling trips, rent a scooter, eat, drink and be merry.....

I have some general ideas on accomodation and was wondering if anyone can recommend these - Phi Phi Palmtree, Lanta Castaway on Long Beach (will we be bummed if there's no pool?), and maybe Railay Bay Resort on West Railay. Money isn't a huge issue although I'd prefer to stay under B3500. I'd like for a place to have comforts, but also character....any better ideas at Railay?

Also, it looks like we'll be there during Songkran - will this pose any problems? Will stores/restaurants be closed, or will it be hard to find accomodation during this time?

Just realized how long this is - sorry everyone - but any help is appreciated! I don't expect any vacation to go perfectly, but I'd like to make this trip as special as possible.

#1 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 03:55

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

More to do on Lanta? There's hardly anything to do on Lanta and I've been there twice. Just relax on the beach or ride around the island.

Much more to do around Krabi.

There isnt much to do at Phi Phi either apart from snorkelling.

"Generally we'd like chill, get massages, go on snorkeling trips, rent a scooter, eat, drink and be merry....."

You can do all that from Krabi.

Day 1 Check out railey and phra nang beach

Day 2 snorkelling trip to phi phi and poda island

day 3 kayaking trip around bor thor caves

day 4 ride a bike around ao nang, nopphorat, krabi town and eat some market food

day 5 go to khlong thom hot springs and crystal lagoon which is about 45 mins from ao nang

day 6 get massages and relax

day 7 snorkelling and kayaking trip at ko hong

#2 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 08:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'd switch a night off Lanta to Railay or Phi Phi.

Don't have experience of those places except for Railay Bay - pretty good plac in a great position. All the West Railay places seem much the same unless you can spread to Railay Beach Club.
    Have stayed at Lanta Palm Beach on Long Beach - but with so many joints this could be different to your target. If not, good place. And the water is so good off the beach here (and in all parts of Long Beach bar the southern most 20%) that you don't need a pool IMHO.

#3 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 15:50

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

As it will be just about low season when you go, you don't necessarily need to book accommodation, so you could just see how you feel when you get there: after two days decide if the place warrants a third day or decide to move on. After the scenery of Railay and Phi Phi, Lanta might be disappointing, but the solitude might be appealing.

#4 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 16:06

• ashleyr

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2010

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I think the plan after flying into Krabi would be to start at Railay, then Phi Phi, then Lanta. We'll tack on a day or so to Phi Phi or Railay if we're loving it too much to leave, then spend the remainder on Lanta. Tezza, I'll definitely look into Lanta Palm Beach, thanks. I actually discovered your website a couple months ago and have spent hours at work reading up on your vast island knowledge! April can't come soon enough!

Cheers!!

#5 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 05:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
anyone know krabi like the back of there hand? ... By rozandwill on 9 May 2010 2 1705 10 May 2010