Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

koh chang where to stay

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Hi can anyone recommend where to stay in koh chang. beach hut not to expensive pref on beach front not to far away from the action but dont mind a 10-20 min walk thanks lorna

#1 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 04:16

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

most of the "action" is at white sands beach. google that area

#2 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 08:50

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Though Thale Bungalows is not right in the action it is just a 15 minute walk south to Kai Bae (which has really built up) - but not the easiest trek to White Sand, only because sometimes the channel can get too deep to wade that cuts this place off from beaches to the north.

However, the restaurant and bar at this spot are always lively, with some of the best food on the island and a great spot to hang out. This would be my top choice for an all around good spot that is still a little secluded and not too expensive.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/eastern_thailand/trat/khlong_prao_beach/all/2014

#3 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 11:41

• a_hanger_me-
    rge

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

I really hate to promo other websites on this forum but http://iamkohchang.com/
    Is probably your best bet. It details nearly all the accommodation on the island and give a good idea of what to expect price wise as well. ( at least i hope so ).

When are you going? Ill be there in the last week of Feb, hoping to have a great time.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 16:55

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Thanks guys for all responding. Casey did you say Thale Bungalows would be your top choice or that area? I shall check out white sand beach area and iamkochang website cheers. Has anyone heard about Siam beach huts good location? dont mind basic have read a few trip advisor reviews seems a bit off a mixed review. Ps i reckon we shall be on Koh Chang last week in feb too! cheers lorna

#5 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 20:36

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

My opinion is that there is a lot of action on that stretch all the way from White Sand to Kai Bae (with Khlong Prao being in the center of it) - a little too much for me on White Sand. However, if you want to be totally in the mix you should stick to there.

If you find that there are too many folks on the beach but you still want to be close by, you can always walk down the beach to Khlong Prao and see if you like it.

Thale Bungalow: http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/eastern_thailand/trat/khlong_prao_beach/all/2014

#6 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 21:33

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

sounds good thanks lorna

#7 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 22:18

• sunshine_123

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

Hi Lorna,

I have stayed in Koh Chang a few times and always go back to Independent Bo which is on White Sands Beach. They are very basic bungalows, basically like tree huts up in the mountains, but you are right on the beach. The person who owns it is a scottish lady called Fiona and she is great. You can get there by asking the taxi to drop you off at KC Resort, walk down towards the beach and turn right. Carry on walking and you won't be able to miss the place, it's right next to Rock Sand Bungalows. If its cheap and cheerful and an amazing place with great people, who have been returning there year after year, then this is the place to go.

Hope this helps!

#8 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 05:05

• lorna123

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Thanks very much for that info sunshine lots of good options given, and the lady fiona is from scotland great we are from scoltand too!

#9 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 21:54

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Lorna, the area up around Rocksand (this is the joint on the small headland you see when you first hit White Sand Beach and look NORTH ie RIGHT) is the go. Rocksand itself has rooms in your price range and it is surrounded by a bunch of budget/flashpacker places. My choice is Layalamean (spelling may not be right). See TRAVELFISH'S stuff for more.
    10 minutes walk to the busier part of the beach and town which have no shortage of life and action.

#10 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 15:29

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.