Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Budget for 19 days - what can I expect?

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hey everone,
    my boyfriend and I will fly to Bangkok at the end of feb and stay there for 19 days. Our budget allows us to spend around 90 USD a day (on accomodation, food, traveling, admission fees etc. for the two of us)
    We would like to travel from Bangkok to Chaing mai, stay there a while and then travel to the south and do some island hopping, including, maybe, similan islands (no diving though and no liveaboard). We would like to see a lot of temples etc, get massages, take a cooking class and maybe join a few daytours. But not really any trekking or overnight tours.
    We are ok with cheap and clean hotels or guesthouses, but they should have private western standard toilets.
    Now my question, I really lack any sense of estimating what our budget allows us to do. I don't need exact quotes, of course (though a website listing the average price for... would be nice), but it would be really great if more experienced travelers to Thailand could give us an idea of what we will get with a budget of 90 USD a day.
    Thanks so much in advance!

#1 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 20:33

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

basic rooms $10 to $20
    good rooms $20 to $50
    thai dishes $2 to $5
    water bottle 40c
    beer $1.50 from 7/11 to $5 in some bars
    snorkelling/kayaking day trips $30
    1 hr massage $8 to $10
    cooking classes would vary but should have some cheap ones outside the big hotels
    boat trips trips to islands $10 to $20

your $90 budget is a good one.

#2 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 06:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

yup. your $90 per day budget is a good one. in fact, you should even have the extra money for the massages and cooking classes and such that you want.

my wife and i spent about $75 per day average on a long trip to thailand, laos, and cambodia in 2006, and about that same $75 per day or perhaps a bit more on a trip similiar as yours in 2009/10.

you can save quite a bit of money by choosing clean but modest places to stay and by travelling via second class bus or train. still good, but much less expensive. you'll also save cash by watching where the locals eat and going there for meals. have fun. cheers.

#3 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 09:49

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Don't forget to try lots of street food. It's cheap, usually yummy and safety wise it's often better than restaurants. You can see the food being cooked in front of you whereas in a restaurant it's out back and you dont know what they have done with the food.

But your major costs are going to be rooms and day tours. You can always find good mid range rooms and you can bargain over the price especially if you stay for a few days. It's good to inspect the rooms first though. I usually ask for a 100 baht to 300 baht per night discount which is $3 to $10. Adds up over time.

You should also ask for a 100-200 baht discount on daytours. With 2 people they generally give you some discount.

When buying products like clothes it depends where you buy how much to bargain. Some places like MBK shopping centre in Bangkok wont discount much because the prices are reasonable and they have to pay rent. In the markets you need to bargain more as they might quote you a big first price and their rents would be lower so they have more room to move. Some people say start at 30% of their first quote but it depends on the items and how good their first price is. Best to decide in your mind what you are willing to pay and start a bit lower and walk away if they dont match your final price.

#4 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 08:09

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I think the budget is OK. Only OK. It depends on how you eat and how much. Let's say you get a mid range room for 30bucks with air. Then you eat a normal coffee/toast/eggs or something familiar at the guesthouse before going out and about. That could be 5-6 bucks. (Both included) Then you go out and get water bottles(the cheap ones at 10 baht average times 4 a day. Ok no big deal. Then you get a decent Thai meal at a nicer spot at dinner for 300 baht between the two. ($10-11). What about when you are running around? Do you snack a lot? will you get a jones for a diet soda? $10 more for stuff goes quick. Before you know it you are near $60. The expense to travel to Chiang Mai on the train in a 2nd class car can be 500-600 baht? depends. Get the overnight to save a night at a hotel. But it doesn't leave til after 7 so you have to check out late. More cash.
    Really it goes quick and prices have gone up. I agree that you will be OK but in case you don't like the 20 dollar room (sometimes you will/sometimes you won't) have wiggle room. Just adding $10-15 to the budget will allow you to have less worry and at the end if you saved some then you have options with your shopping that we all do at the last minute.

I am NOT saying that everyone is wrong. I go to Thailand regularly and I never stay on exact budgets but I always build in wiggle room. I snack on street meals but I like a good restaurant now n then and I always find or want to do something unexpected. That unexpected always takes money. Good luck!

#5 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 17:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.