Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train confusion

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

I'm trying to sort out an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and getting very confused. We're traveling in January, but the Thai Railways site only allows you to check availability up to the end of 2006.

We'd like to take the 19:35 train (#35), since the arrival time seems most convenient. The Traveller 2000 web-site doesn't list this train. The site posted by Exacto (www.travelconnexcion.com) indicates that the only 2nd class sleepers on this train are a/c (we'd like fan if possible) and lists different dep/arr times on different pages. Another site (www.thaifocus.com) listed by The Man in Seat 61 offers both types of sleeper on this train, but at inflated prices.

Can anyone clarify what type of accommodation is available on this train, and where it can most reliably be booked?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 17/12/2006 - 07:54

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Rover,

The SRT can be reliable with reservations though a tad slow at replying to emails -- though once contact has been made they're aparently quite reliable. I'd suggest contacting them by email explaining your quandry and see what they suggest.

As for the timetable discrepencies -- I'd go with the official site as being the best site -- you can email them here: info@railway.co.th and if you don't hear back in a few days email them again...and again!

#2 Posted: 17/12/2006 - 19:52

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

Thanks somtam. I'll give it a shot, and keep my fingers crossed.

#3 Posted: 18/12/2006 - 08:53

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi roverinexile

www.seat61.com is a very useful website. You can look at all Thailand trains there, and they even make sense of a difficult subject.

Don't prematurely dismiss the day trains to Chiang Mai, especially the 2nd class fan seats where you can meet a carriage full of great Thai travellers. Share your food, take photos from open windows and doors, and get by with just rudimentary Thai (pood passa nit noi).
    I did this journey on the Rapid 101 train in October this year, leaving Hualamphong station @ 0600ish and arriving in Chiang Mai at 1930ish. Sure its longish, but its a great way to see the great central Thailand countryside. The only downside was that I had to get eventually off...
    Regards
    Rayc101

#4 Posted: 18/12/2006 - 16:38

• roverinexile

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2006

Alas, no response from Thai Railways, and, according to an agency, it now seems that all trains are fully booked for Jan 11th & 12th. It's still impossible to check the availability via the official website, as 2006 is the only year to select. Looks like we'll have to splash out and fly, as I really don't fancy an o/n KSR video coach. Or, has anyone had luck with buying tickets at the last minute?

#5 Posted: 30/12/2006 - 21:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.