Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Drug Laws??

• CaptainPlat-
    ypus

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Does anybody know much about the laws in Thailand for drug use? And what would be the punishment if you were to get caught just smokin a bit weed?

#1 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 23:28

• Advertisement

• khunwilko

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2007

If you get caught, you'll wish you hadn't.
    The rule of law in Thailand is largely influenced by corruption and graft. Drug laws are no exception.
    The penalties if ever applied could be draconian.....
    However I think the biggest mistake by most westerners is that they totally underestimate the extent to which corruption pervades all aspects of the law.

So you could start at the bottom and hope you get let off, or the process will work its way up the hierarchical ladder and the money demanded will rise exponentially.

Or you could give up at just spend a few years in a Thai jail.....but remember how you are treated there will depend on you ability to engage in the all-pervading system of graft....

once you've got a good handle on all that then you can perhaps decidde how much having a "little weed" is worth to you.

#2 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 00:19

• CaptainPlat-
    ypus

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

Thanks for the insight!
    Thats the thing, I just won't bother if I'm going to have to empty my bank account to pay some corrupt policeman or spend time in a Thai jail. I was hoping it would be the case that everyones doing it on the sly so they sort of turn a blind eye to a bit of weed if your doing it discretely. Anyone heard any stories or anything? It cant be as bad as Banged Up Abroad makes out!

#3 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 00:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Wilko is quite right here - just don't do it.

#4 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 12:19

• Gorey

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Its really not worth the risk, everyone i've known whos bought some while out there has 'coincidentally' found the police appearing within 5 minutes and a choice of a hefty fine to be let off or find yourself in jail and on an episode of 'Banged up abroad'.

You'd probably struggle to buy it there without getting stung and the penalty for bringing the stuff into the country or carrying it is way worse as you'd be treated as a smuggler or dealer rather than a user

Alot of guesthouses i've stayed in i've been able to smell it so its clear people are smoking the stuff, so maybe some guesthouses turn a blind eye or more likely they have some deal with the local police to let it happen. Corruption as people have said is the key.

I personally know of one person who's been in Thailand for 5 years now after being found with weed and Valium while trying to cross into laos, he took on the justice system with no money, last i was told hes still waiting for his case to be heard.

#5 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 21:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I personally know of one person who's been in Thailand for 5 years now after being found with weed and Valium while trying to cross into laos, he took on the justice system with no money, last i was told hes still waiting for his case to be heard."

What was hew thinking about?

#6 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 22:27

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Dope makes people dopey so he wasn't thinking. If you can't have fun in Thailand without dope you must be a complete bore. The country is full of attractions.

#7 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 07:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Now here Krabiman you and I are in violent agreement. The risk just isn't worth the reward.

#8 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 10:19

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

The fact that you have even posted thequestion means that you know it's a bad idea. If you come from somewhere where "they sort of turn a blind eye to a bit of weed" then carry on enjoying it at home and try to have some experiences you couldn't have at home in Thailand.

Surely even a 1% chance of having a Banged up Abroad experience would scare the hell out of you and not to mention Westerners who just think they can flout developing countries laws just because...

#9 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 20:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"not to mention Westerners who just think they can flout developing countries laws just because..."

I wouldn't call Thailand "developing" anymore, but rather a recently developed country. Also, Thais flout their own laws. This isn't a society that revolves around rule of law. So I wouldn't be too hard on people not strictly following law while here. Now, not following culural norms and being disrespectful of people here - that's a whole other ballgame. I certainly respect the guy who smokes a little weed but is polite in his interactions with the people here more than I do the guy who obeys the law but is rude to people here and grousing all the time.

#10 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 10:10

• Advertisement

• jmax

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

was in thai. and found it vastly overrated, although i scored weed on all the islands and thier harsh laws against it goes along with the business sense (talkin only weed here). how much money they make off a guy in jail for weed against what he spends while travlin about (shootin themselves in the foot)

#11 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 17:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

jmax,
    Again, I would avoid drug use here. I am sure you could buy your way out of trouble, but in my view, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Risk / benefit analysis says stick with booze.

#12 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 21:00

• jmax

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

probably true

#13 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.