Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Surin or similans and how can we book tents?

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hey guys,

my boyfriend and I narrowed it down to Similan or Surin islands in March.

Here are my questions:

A) for a relaxed time with daily snorkeling (no diving), what to choose: Similan or Surin islands?
    Is one of them easier to reach?

B) How can we rent the tents on the islands beforehand?

C) Did anyone hear about parts of the islands being closed since the beginning of the year or so? I worry that we won't be allowed to snorkel.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 04:10

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

C is a good question. Start with that and google.

News reports a few days ago said many dive and snorkelling spots were being closed down last Friday for an indefinite period due to massive coral bleaching. The Surins seem to be particularly badly affected and most of the snorkeling sites appear to now to be off limits for tourists. Parts of the Similans are also closed. (I posted a news report in the News Section on TF a few days ago which gives details)

The Surins are normally better for snorkeling than the Similans because the reefs are shallower but it's hard to know if the NP campsite is still open or whether you can actually do any snorkeling off the beach there now.

There's still absolutely no information about the closures on the official website but they do have a couple of phone numbers and an email address so you could try contacting them directly to ask. (You don't normally need to reserve tents BTW).

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=202&lg=2

#2 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 12:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.