Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Want to go BKK - Phuket by car?

• skottypa

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

I am thinking of renting a car in Bangkok about Feb. 20th and driving to Phuket. I have to be back on March 1st because i am flying out on March 2. I am looking for someone to share the cost of a car rental and gas. Anyone interested? I think it would be much more interesting than flying.

#1 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 00:27

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Great idea but getting out of Bangkok in a car might be a problem unless you know the roads real well and can handle the traffic. I like driving in Thailand but have never tried in Bangkok - find the roads too confusing and the traffic too much to deal with on holidays.

Sharing with a stranger could be a problem too. They might be totally annoying to be stuck in a car with and might rack off without giving you half the money.

If it was me I'd train it to Hua Hin hire a car there then drive down and leave the car in Phuket. Then fly back. I think Budget has offices in both those locations.

#2 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 07:51

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Train to Hua Hin sounds like a good plan. I hired a car in Chiang Mai and headed south (bypassing Bkk), down to Amphawa, then hooked back up to drop the car off at Bkk Airport. I actually found the driving quite good in Thailand - although I did keep right out of central Bkk.

Of course the problems that Krabiman are your trade-off in terms of sharing: annoying, abandonment without payment, etc. But that's your tradeoff for sharing expenses. On the other hand, you might find someone who shares your enthusiasm for travel, is honest and reliable, and is great company. It could go either way, of course. Just be sure to ask them the questions that matter (smoker? type of sights that are of interest? etc). And maybe get a deposit up front, and consider progressive payments as you go.

There's always a solution.

(But DO be careful with your gear. Don't completely let your guard down).

#3 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 08:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.