Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi travel advice

• sherekhan

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

Hello,

I have Saturday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon in March to spend in the Krabi area and am not entirely sure how to make the best use of my time...maybe some of you experienced travelers can help me out?

Places I am interested in: Railey, Phi-Phi islands, and Ko Lanta.

Activities I am interested in: rock climbing (not advanced), trekking/exploring, maybe kayaking, and swimming (maybe snorkeling).

I prefer off-the-beaten-path type places over tourist traps..which is why Lanta appeals to me. Everything I have read about Phi-Phi Don and Leh is quite condescending(too touristy) but I still want to check it out. I am planning on taking nothing but a backpack and spending the nights in low-budget hostels. I am also considering camping.. but I've only heard about doing this through Maya Bay Camping-know of any other places or options for camping? Railey appeals to me because of the climbing (but I've also heard theres decent climbing at Phi-Phi Don) and that its just a generally scenic place with a lot of variety.

Although nightlife isn't too important, I don't mind a good night of partying =)

So what do you think?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 22:51

• Advertisement

• sherekhan

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

One more thing,

I'd like to do a homestay at a Muslim fishing village. Ko Pur is the only place where I have heard this is possible.

#2 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 22:55

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

For cheaper bungalows and rock climbing go to Ton Sai the next bay over from west Railay. For an overnight in a Muslim fishing village check out Ko Panyi, a picturesque village clinging to a big limestone formation in Phang Nga province. For Lanta head down to Khlong Jak bay near the bottom of the island - very chilled with still some cheaper huts. For Phi Phi look for a place called The Rock or adjacent Tara Inn in central Ton Sai (not to be confused with the same-named bay mentioned above).

#3 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 00:51

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Activities I am interested in:

rock climbing (not advanced) - krabi best
    trekking/exploring - phanom bencha np krabi or khao sok np further away
    kayaking - daytrips from krabi best - thalen bay or bor tor/ao luk areas or ko hong
    swimming (maybe snorkeling) - phi phi best for that or tours from krabi

Lanta doesnt have any of those actitivies. It's more for laying on the beach and doing little.

#4 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 08:00

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

#5 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 08:02

• sherekhan

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

Thank you Captain Bob and Krabi man!

To Bob,
    Ko Panyi sounds awesome! But its a bit too far for the time I have, dont you think? Do you know of any good homestays anywhere in the Krabi beach area? I am flying in and out of the Krabi airport.

to Krabiman,
    how easy is it to access Phanom Bencha? If it happens to be too out of the way from the beaches, is there anywhere else you would suggest for trekking/exploring?

you guys are awesome, thanks

#6 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 21:34

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

phanom bencha is only like 30-40 mins away from the beaches

#7 Posted: 1/2/2011 - 03:37

• sherekhan

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

I have some more questions:

How many weeks in advance should I reserve a room at Ton Sai or Phi-Phi Don?

Is it feasible to experience a majority of the Phi-Phi islands on day trips alone?

What is the best way to get from Krabi Airport to Ton Sai?

#8 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 00:10

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Did you end up visiting phanom bencha np ? would you mind to share your impressions, how did you get there where did you sleep etc? thank you

#9 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 03:13

• sherekhan

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

Actually I ended up staying at Tonsai in the Railay beach area for the entire time! It had the atmosphere I was looking for and didn't want to be anywhere else in the world during the few days I spent there. Just goes to show how planning is sometimes useless! lol

#10 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 10:38

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phucket/Krabi/Lanta travel advice? ... By lordydord on 1 Sep 2011 3 1479 6 Sep 2011