Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Wat Pa Luangta Yannasampanno (Tiger Temple)

• Laura_B

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 12

Hi,

I've been doing some research on this temple. I would love to visit this place, but not sure if I should, even though people have told me tigers are not drugged and are well kept, I'm still not sure. If it is genuine, then it would be a fabulous experience, but on the other hand if it's not, I don't want to support somewhere, where tigers are ill treated just for the benefit of tourists.

Is there more then one tiger temple?

Has anyone been to the temple I'm referring to? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 18:01

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Laura,

There's just the one tiger temple -- I've been there and you can read my thoughts on it here (you'll need to scroll down a little): Tiger temple Kanchanaburi.

#2 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 23:03

• OxBoy

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2006

Was there about a month ago. The tigers seemed dopey though people said it was just b'cause of the heat. I don't know. It was great to be so close to them and it certainly isn't something I could do at home, as you can actually touch them.

as another person who was there when i went said, "If they're drugging them, it's not like they're going to stop drugging them because you didn't go, so you may as well check it out"

Selfish I know, but the pics are great!

#3 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 23:31

• maurislaird

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

Hello Laura
    I have been to the tiger temple every year since 2003 and although it is becoming a bit of a tourist trap the animals are well cared for and many of the foreign and local volunteers have assured me not drugged.I plan to volunteer there myself on my return in February.
    The other place for a tiger experience is Sri Racha Tiger Zoo about halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya and although they have about 200 tigers they only let you hold the baby cubs and feed them bottles of milk.
    I have also heard rumors of a guest house in Loie province that has a tame tiger as a family pet wandering around the house?
    Enjoy your trip

#4 Posted: 21/12/2006 - 08:15

• deemaa

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2006

I was there with my wife in October. She loves all animals (this excursion was a surprise for her) and for both of us this was a genuine positive life experience. The only dopiness I noticed, was the drinking too early in the day, fat sex tourist we had to ride out with to the temple site. Amazing how quick he shut up when encountering the big cats. My wife has a sensitive nose and carries around aromatherapy oils with her. They came in handy to deal with the heavy animal urine and spray scents. We stayed an extra couple hours to enjoy all the animals (there is much more than just the tigers) and of course converse with the staff and monks. The head monk is a cool guy and deals quickly with those people afraid or nervous around the tigers (can't have them nipping off pieces of paying customers). I sincerely hopes he can fulfill his dream of seeing a permanent home for his four legged friends....same blood, different species. Peace Jim

#5 Posted: 22/12/2006 - 02:18

• Laura_B

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2006
    Total reviews: 12

Thanks guys for your comments, I'm leaning towards going at the moment.

#6 Posted: 27/12/2006 - 17:19

• mick110971

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi laura,
    there are two tiger temples as far as i no. The one with tigers and one just named the tiger temple. I was there in september and hired a driver to take me to the temples with the tigers but ended up at another of the same name which was the best looking temple i have seen and it was well worth the detour (highly recomended), it was about 30 to 60 min off the beaten track before the temple with tigers.I have some pics of it if you are interested.both were well worth visiting.
    cheers mick

#7 Posted: 28/12/2006 - 09:29

• jhoebergen

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi laura,

we've been there one month ago... disappointed we left the temple. animals seem not to be kept well. tigers seem to be dopey...
    if i knew this before, i didn't visit this place. when people keep coming we keep this alive... this is not natural.

best regards,

Jeroen Hoebergen

#8 Posted: 28/12/2006 - 20:49

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    I have been to the tiger temple many times (about 10 - I used to live in BKK and always took my friends to Kanchanaburi). I have touched the tigers, everyone has. It is well organised and the monks take good care of the tigers. It was always intersting and exciting to be so close to such huge wild creatures. If you are a but scared, you can just look at them (and all the other animals too) instead of touching them...
    ALISON

#9 Posted: 3/1/2007 - 17:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tiger Temple ... By emmyb on 4 Aug 2006 37 12023 7 Jun 2010
tiger temple?? ... By shaana on 21 Oct 2006 2 2183 23 Oct 2006
Tiger Temple ... By saksham on 8 Mar 2012 2 1097 8 Mar 2012
The Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi ... By somtam2000 on 20 Jun 2008 44 46656 27 Dec 2011
TIGER TEMPLE UPDATE PLEASE ... By razztravel on 22 Jul 2013 24 1881 5 Aug 2013
Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi ... By licasi on 16 Nov 2007 22 3015 1 Oct 2011
Tiger Temple sue conservationists. ... By khunwilko on 6 Feb 2010 1 1481 6 Feb 2010
Where can I see well looked after tigers, NOT the tiger temple!! ... By NatalinaBallerina on 9 Jan 2009 37 18515 2 Jun 2010
Tourist mauled at Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi ... By somtam2000 on 30 Aug 2013 8 1379 31 Aug 2013