Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

malaria tablets necessary?

Posted by traceyincapetown on 1/2/2011 at 15:37

hi all ... we travelling bkk > kanchanaburi (river kwai) > krabi > islands > Phuket > BKK over 12 - 26 Feb 2011 ... do you think we need malaria tabs? thx xx tracey

#1 traceyincapetown has been a member since 11/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Krabiman on 1/2/2011 at 16:58

Not unless you want to waste money and feel bad for nothing.

#2 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by laurenladky on 1/2/2011 at 18:15

Hi Tracey!

I certainly agree with Krabiman! Especially since you will be visiting populated/sea areas. My friend from the states visited me last July and took malaria tablets after her doctor convinced her malaria was everywhere in Thailand. She spent her entire trip with her head in the toilet. You don't need em. Take repellent for Kanchanaburi. You can also eat vitamin b tablets. Apparently, this makes you taste terrible to mosquitos!

#3 laurenladky has been a member since 27/1/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by Krabiman on 1/2/2011 at 19:18

Malaria doesnt exist or is very rare in Thailand's main tourist areas. That doctor must be hopeless because doctors can access up to date info on such things via a 5 sec search on a computer. I had a doctor do that years ago.

#4 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by boxee on 1/2/2011 at 20:16

krabiman i agree when that in the main tourist areas malaria tablets are not needed , but what about when travelling out of the main tourist areas , this year i will be spending a week
in unphang and moe sot , would u think about taking malaria tablets in these areas ???

danny

#5 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by Krabiman on 2/2/2011 at 22:14

i would have some in a bag and only take them if needed. malaria isnt that common in thailand. i havent been to umphang so not sure about that area. doctors have told me malaria is more common in burma and you are going near there so maybe ask a doctor about it if worried.

#6 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by Nola_Lee_Kelsey on 3/2/2011 at 16:08

If you are into being paranoid, irritable and flushing money down the toilet, then yes, stock up on Malaria pills. I tried them once years ago. When some pour guy in Kenyan tried to mug me I chased him down the beach, my attitude got worse from there.

Seriously, those of us who live here full time do not take them.

It will sound off, but if you are really worried about bites take a combination of three tablets, 1) unscented garlic 2) apple cider vinegar 3) brewer’s yeast (or a good vitamin B combo) starting 2 weeks prior to your tip and while traveling. I know, it sounds like another crazy old wives tale, but it is actually an old horse tale. Mosquitoes rarely bite people who are on this combination. Their blood smells unpalatable to biting insects, so the bugs go bite the chap at the next table instead. This combo is the same thing all those fancy Equestrian people spend a fortune for ,so that their horse’s coats are smooth and not all bug bitten at the high-end shows.

Strange but true! So if you are one of those folks that really attracts bug bites bring these along and skip the toxic brew the pharmaceutical companies want pump into your body.

#7 Nola_Lee_Kelsey has been a member since 16/1/2011. Location: Thailand. Posts: 11
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.