Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 months in Thailand

• jamieirl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

Hey,
    two friends and i are flying into bangkok on the 28th of feb and staying for 3 months. The idea is to head straight to an island that we could cheaply rent a 2/3 bedroom house/apartment for a month. Any recommendations or an idea on what kind of money we'd be looking at.
    thx, jamie

#1 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 01:40

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

20,000 to 40,000 baht per month

#2 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 07:29

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

You need to decide what you are looking for. Phuket would be more than say Lanta, but then it depends on which beach and how far from it. You should decide what kind of life you are looking for. Party on or secluded.

#3 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 16:46

• emily_morgs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

I stayed out on Koh Phi Phi for 3 months, rented a little double bed bungalow for 7000baht a month at PP Valentine. So I would agree with the person above - roughly around 20,000 for two bedroom place.

#4 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 17:50

• jamieirl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

Thanks guys, was thinking of heading to koh samui for the first month, then plan out the rest of the trip from there but im not sure if it'll be cheap enough. Not too worried about living close to the beach as long as its not too much of a commute.
    We have a budget for accommodation of about 10,000 baht each per month so we'd be looking for 3 single places beside each other or a 3 bedroom place for 30,000 a month.
    Its the first time travelling to that part of the world so i'm a bit worried about our budget. How do ye think we'll get on with a budget of about 200 - 250 euro a week, excluding accommodation???

#5 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 20:39

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

hey there!
    also plan on traveling to the island around end of april... add me maybe we can meet up..

facebook.com/martina.micko

#6 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 23:31

• emily_morgs

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2011

I always budget £500 (so €600) a month, including accommodation when I go to Thailand. This is living really cheap, eating in the Thai markets as much as possible, staying in bungalows with a fan and cold shower. But I still manage to do expensive things like diving and climbing on that budget. So on your budget you'll be able to live much more luxuriously than me, but still remember to look around a lot when you're finding things like accommodation and also with transport, often there'll be somewhere down the road offering half the price for the same quality. And don't forget to barter with them, they sense if you're new to asia and try and charge you triple!

#7 Posted: 5/2/2011 - 05:42

• shirasam

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2011

What kind of visa are you coming in with that will allow you to stay in Thailand for 90 days straight? I'm planning the same and STILL don't understand the visa types despite all the forums on it...

#8 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 22:49

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You might find this handy for renting a place on Samui ...

http://samui.thaivisa.com/property/

#9 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 23:03

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

A double entry 60 day visa is needed... a day trip outside the country... That makes for 120 days :) I'm going to rent a week at a time, don't want to get too bored in the same place...

#10 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 03:58

• Advertisement

• kfchris1

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2011

Thank You Tilapia, im doing the same sort of thing as this, as was getting a little confused with the visa's!!
    We might change our mind tho and spend 4 weeks in thailand and then spend 6-7 weeks traveling round cambodia and vietnam and maybe into loas, still undecided.

#11 Posted: 10/9/2011 - 17:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you stay in one place - you can rent much cheaper by the month - especially if you guarantee three months - than you can renting by the day. So 10,000 a month gets you an OK place in many areas of Thailand (can't speak for the Islands - not my thing as I don't like the ocean) but that is a tight budget for housing when you are changing from place to place. Still doable mind you, but you will definitely be staying in the low end places.

#12 Posted: 13/9/2011 - 18:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.