Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

travel between Sangkhlaburi and umphang

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

haveing alook around the forums on here and on thornetree , it looks like there is no easy way to get from Sangkhlaburi to umphang , most of this infomation is over 2 years old , does any one know of a easy way to get to umphnag with out going back to bkk or Kanchanaburi first ,

if this was the only way i would have to just go to one of these places , but cannot quite make mind mind up which one would be the best to go to , both look like great places , and both have places and things i would like to do

danny

#1 Posted: 7/2/2011 - 18:32

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The frontier between Kanchanaburi and Tak provinces is one of the most wild and protected areas, and local forestry police have a lot of control over what goes on in there (legal or otherwise). I've asked some of them about getting through and of course they said more or less "no chance". Obviously there are trails but I doubt you'd find anyone to guide you along the route much less make it "easy". By all means if you find out differently please share.

#2 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 00:08

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

hello bob

by the look of your profile pic u are a keen motor bike rider , i have just found a webb page about 2 guys who have done this trip on bikes, it gives u detailed account of how they done it with some great pics

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32166-Sangkhla-Buri-to-Umphang-2-day-ride-through-the-jungle...

danny

#3 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 16:55

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Danny,

There is a route that will take you to Umphang without going to Kanchanaburi.

Road #3183 off of #323, at Chalae, will take you into Umphang. But I doubt that there is any transportation along it. You might want to ask around Sangkhlaburi and/or Kanchanaburi, or even in Chalae.

That's a great article from GTR.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 20:49

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

thanks for the info Tilapia

this was going to be my plan , to ask around sangklaburi , maybe for a private taxi

danny

#5 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 21:30

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

That's a great trip report on GTR. Epic ride with a lot of challenges, and a few crashes/bridges/raft crossings/etc. So it appears to be "possible" but you might ask yourself is it worth it, and good luck getting a "private taxi" ;-)

#6 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 01:11

• jarunsaksri-

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2011

please contact me if you want to do this trip. I am local people whose really know how to do this trip. last year we do two days throught to Umphang with 2 of GT rider group.

jarunsaksri1@gmail.com

#7 Posted: 26/2/2011 - 17:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel from Sangkhlaburi to Ayutthaya ... By Stefaniala on 11 Oct 2013 12 1210 24 Oct 2013