Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

CHATUCHAK WEEKEND MARKET - BANGKOK

• paulascott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2006

Hi All,
    Hoping that some of you can shed some light for me. I have read somewhere that the weekend market is open on Friday afternoon also (wholesale), small retailers welcome. Can anyone tell me what its like on a Friday afternoon?

I am supposed to be flying out of Bangkok on a Saturday - heading for Phuket - so unless I make my flight to leave at 7.00 pm. can't do the markets on the Saturday. (Also have 2 kids in tow)

Friday would suit heaps better - if it's still fantastic & full of bargains & stuff to look at.

Hate to miss a bargain, but I'm also thinking that in April - its going to be awfully hot with around 200,000 people breathing and sweating!!

Any advice or suggestions - I'd be extremely appreciative!!

Cheers all and have a great Chrissy!!

#1 Posted: 23/12/2006 - 12:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a lot less busy, but many of the stalls are not open -- better than nothing i guess. Another option is to try the Suam Lum Night Bazaar near Silom Road (in downtown) -- it also has an excellent range of goods and is open every night.

"I'm also thinking that in April - its going to be awfully hot with around 200,000 people breathing and sweating!!"

Sounds about right to me ;-)

#2 Posted: 24/12/2006 - 07:12

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

That Night Market near Lumpini Park that Somtam mentions has really built itself into something over the last few years. You should easily be able to spend all of your money there without too much effort. :-)

I'm a fan of MBK too, the large shopping complex adjacent to the National Stadium and accessible by sky train. It has thousands of stalls and endless shopping possibilities. Plus, it is indoors! Cheers.

#3 Posted: 24/12/2006 - 09:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And having just walked back in the door from a Christmas Eve shopping spree at Chatuchak, I strongly advise -- go there early in the morning!

#4 Posted: 24/12/2006 - 14:42

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hi,
    There are definitely quite a few stalls open on a Friday. But you won't get the whole market or the whole Chatuchak crazy experience, with entire sensory overload... but if you are towing kids, maybe that is good. The Lumpini Park Night Bazaar is really good, but v. tourist oriented so the prices are slightly higher.
    If you want an authentic thai shopping experience, try the Patuwan (sp.) Market (next to Baiyoke Tower near Indra Hotel not far from Phaya Thai BTS, well, a short tuk tuk ride...) It has lots of great clothes and other stuff, and is open as a Night Market every night. And is open during the day too!
    ALISON

#5 Posted: 3/1/2007 - 17:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chatuchak market flooded? ... By magicpixiejo on 15 Nov 2011 1 802 16 Nov 2011