Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

How to travel Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia?

Posted by JT on 8/2/2011 at 20:53

Hi,
Me and my girlfriend is backpacking Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. We wondered if anybody know the best, fastest and cheapest way of travelling these four countries? Maybe a cheep flight from Bankok - Ho Chi Minh City and then make our way through Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and then from Laos with plane to Koh Samoi? We have 4 weeks spending in these countries. We planed a week or so on Cambdia, Laos and Vietnam. Then going to Ko samoi, Ko Chang ect spending most of our time...

Thanks!!

Thomas, Norway

#1 JT has been a member since 6/2/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by MADMAC on 8/2/2011 at 23:54

You don't think you can squeeze in Malaysia, Indonesia and Burma? Four weeks to see these four countries? You're kidding right? Hanoi to Cambodia via Laos is some seriously long bus travel - so I hope you like buses a lot.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Krabiman on 9/2/2011 at 06:49

We planed a week or so on Cambdia, Laos and Vietnam.

One week to do 3 countries? That's not fun.

4 weeks is a good amount of time for Thailand only or spend 1 week in 1 other country.

#3 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by svendj on 9/2/2011 at 16:20

I did those 4 countries in 6 months and still haven't seen everything. did Thailand for more then 6 months before that trip as well and still haven't seen all of it;

I'd stick to 1 country only as madmac and krabiman suggest here!

#4 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 9/2/2011 at 16:54

"We wondered if anybody know the best, fastest and cheapest way of travelling these four countries?"

"We planed a week or so on Cambdia, Laos and Vietnam"

OK - I have to ask. What is the objective of your trip? To collect the most stamps possible in your passport? Is this an episode of the Amazing Race?

I suspect that you meant that you plan to spend a week in each of those countries, but I still question why? You will lose at least one day each time you travel between countries. You will lose 1/2 - 1 day each time you move between locations in each country.

However, to answer your question:
- Cheapest? Overland by vehicle (assuming you exclude walking)
- Fastest? By plane
- Best? Slowly!

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Thomas922 on 9/2/2011 at 18:57

Have to agree with all. To much too fast. Even if you REALLY want to do a bunch, 2 weeks one 2 weeks another. You will be happy you got to chill and absorb.

#6 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: Global Village. Posts: 346

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.