Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Songkran 2011

• jemmadb

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011

Can anyone give me advice on the best places to spend Songkran 2011? Not crazy party animal places but exciting, fun and one that doesnt go on for 4 days! I would rather be somewhere good natured and "respectful" than a bunch of tourists throwing water balloons as hard as possible "for a laugh". Would prefer to be by a beach but am open to suggestions.

#1 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 18:21

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

try any town in northern thailand

#2 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 06:16

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Most places in the south only celebrate for 1 day. Chang Mai seems to party for up tp a week, Bangkok 3 days.
    Try any of the islands. You will find that most of them tame it down and only do the 1 day.

#3 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 08:16

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Phayao is a good "moderate" Songkran town. The big lake lined with very Thai-style restaurants makes for a great setting, and there are just a couple guesthouses and one big hotel catering to foreigners. Three hours by bus from Chiang Mai.

#4 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 13:57

• guernseydan

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2010

Chiang Mai

#5 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 18:10

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Nong Khai was good as well, did it twice. still goes on for 3 days (and sometimes on the sunday before as well). Still if you had enough of the water just check out the restaurants at the beach as it's all quiet.

Love to see how it goes in Chiang Mai but I hate that town so I'll probably skip it!

#6 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 20:02

• ButterflyGl-
    ove

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

Hi Jemma,

Chiang Mai is without doubt the best place to experience Songkran if you want to get the real experience. Like guava_girl said, up here they celebrate it for about 4 or 5 days. It is a party, but the Thais are very respectful. I only ever heard reports of foreigners being disrespectful unfortunately, so if you do make it up here, you'd probably be best to avoid the Thae Pae Gate area in the old city.

I am bias towards Chiang Mai, of course, since I have lived here for 18 months :) But, I always tell anyone who'll listen that it's an unbelievable experience. I'll definitely be here this year if you want a friendly face to show you around town.

Safe travels, Christina

#7 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 10:23

• jemmadb

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2011

Thanks for all your advice guys. I will try and make it to chiang mai for songkran!

#8 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 15:54

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Festival goes for about 6 days in Phayao. Much more of a Thai experience than Chiang Mai.

#9 Posted: 26/2/2011 - 01:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.