Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Udon Thani - Ko Tao: route suggestions?

• gratorn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

I'm helping out some friends with some travel planning. We'll be in Udon, after which they want to go to Ko Tao for snorkelling.... not really the easiest combination given the routes available. Of course, they wish to go in the minimum number of hops possible, in the shortest time. And reasonable price of course..so chartering a helicopter isn't an option. :)

The best I can come up with is to fly Air Asia from Udon to Phuket Airport, go down to Phuket Town and catch the next tourist bus (with connections) to Ko Tao.
    Otherwise fly Udon to BKK, BKK to Samui and boat.

Anyone have any better suggestions? Or should I just advise them to try somewhere easier to get to (like Phuket/Phang Na/Krabi). It'll be in June, so east coast could well be rainy then.

#1 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 14:07

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

June is actually one of the better times to hit the lower gulf (east) coast islands. But flying all the way down to Phuket only to backtrack a long way to Ko Tao doesn't make sense. Air Asia Udon-Bangkok (8:55-10:00am) then Bangkok-Surat Thani (14:20-15:35) then grab the last ferry of the day would make more sense. Any non-flying means would take at least 2 days, probably with some transport connection delays (or an overnight) in Bangkok or Chumphon or Surat Thani.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 15:06

• gratorn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Thanks Bob. I think I got distracted writing that last paragraph of mine and left it half finished, I meant to say the West coast would be rainy then so the East coast would be better. Anyway, I like your idea on flying to Surat, I think that would be the best option without taking too much time (I'll take into account the time to get from airport to pier).

I had thought about the long bus to Chumphon, but yes, it would probably take a bit much time.

#3 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 15:17

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

There is actually now an air service from BKK to Chumpon with a boat connection...

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route_solar.htm

#4 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 15:21

• gratorn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Thanks for that. I didn't realise that Chumphon airport accepted passenger flights from Bangkok.

I think flying to Surat involves too many connections (and possible wait times) to get to Ko Tao from BKK. I'm going to suggest this flight to Chumphon (should the travel fall on a weekend), or the good old Lomprayah overnight bus service from BKK.

#5 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 16:19

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

flying to surat and getting the boat is easier than bus to chumphon

but if it was me i would travel down the mekong south and around to ko chang instead. much more interesting trip and chang and the other islands are great.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 06:36

• gratorn

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Krabiman - Flying to Surat is easier? My friends have only visited Thailand once, so are no experts. I've assumed it would be harder than the bus given all the required link-ups and longer ferry ride (BKK to Surat, Surat airport - Surat pier, 4 hour ferry ride to Ko Tao ). Having them hop on an overnight bus from BKK to the Chumphon pier, and then having a boat waiting for them is very easy.

I've tried convincing them to spend more time in Isaan, but it is difficult. It doesn't have the reputation internationally. Personally I'd love to do what you suggest too, and spend time in Mukdahan, Ubon, Buriram and Trat. But it's difficult to convince people who aren't as familiar with Thailand (and haven't travelled extensively within Thailand already) to do this. They haven't been to Ko Tao before, they've heard it's great (which I agree with), and want to see for themselves. Plus, they'll be coming from an Australian winter, so i don't blame them for wanting to head to the beach.

#7 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 10:46

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

That Solar Air service to Chumphon 1h15m for 2700 baht is intriguing, as in they finally got someone to go pull all the weeds growing out of the mostly unused runway in the sticks way north of the city. Let's hope that routing actually (pun intended) gets off the ground.

If it was me I'd probably fly late afternoon to Bangkok then get the late "sprinter" train (aircon reclining seats) from Hualamphong to Chumphon arriving by 6am and morning Lomprayah hi-speed ferry to Ko Tao. Minimal messing around in Bangkok and train doubles as one nights accommodation plus no back-tracking via Surat. Udon to Tao inside 24hrs.

#8 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 19:02

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Australia is full of beaches and tourists. TAO wont be anything special in that regard. Issan is vastly different and much more culturally rewarding if you want to see ruins, river towns and a different way of life and Issan food is different to everyday thai food foreigners have had.

Flying to Surat takes an hour. Much easier. Buses in Thailand are all very slow.

"I've tried convincing them to spend more time in Isaan, but it is difficult. It doesn't have the reputation internationally. Personally I'd love to do what you suggest too, and spend time in Mukdahan, Ubon, Buriram and Trat. But it's difficult to convince people who aren't as familiar with Thailand "

Well you do Issan and they dont want to tag along say adios and see them later. I wouldnt change my holiday for other people.

"The best I can come up with is to fly Air Asia from Udon to Phuket Airport"

Or you could just go to Phi Phi. It has great snorkelling. Tao seems a lot of hassle for nothing extra.

#9 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 19:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Udon Star Hotal in Udon Thani - Beware of thieves!!! ... By immi on 21 Apr 2011 7 2710 27 Apr 2011
Udon Residence - Udon Thani ... By waruneee on 10 Apr 2008 0 4716 10 Apr 2008
what to do in Udon Thani with 1/2 day? ... By boleslav on 11 Oct 2013 0 639 11 Oct 2013
NB Hotel - Udon Thani ... By busgen on 5 Apr 2006 0 4076 5 Apr 2006
Bus from Chiang Rai to Udon Thani? ... By frankithai on 4 Nov 2008 1 7828 4 Nov 2008
Udon Thani to Phitsanulok ... By swag on 3 Jan 2008 4 5510 13 Jan 2008
Udon Thani Airport to Vientiane ... By brianennion on 24 Dec 2009 1 6079 29 Dec 2009
The fastest way to get to Udon Thani from Vientiane ... By googookevin on 7 Aug 2006 1 5258 7 Aug 2006
Udon Thani to Ubon Ratchathani by bus ... By davina1947 on 19 Sep 2009 10 8758 2 Oct 2009
Udon Thani to Siem Reap ... By scudder3 on 17 May 2006 4 5262 19 May 2006