Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

getting married in thailand!

• noammaeir

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

hello!
    my fiance and i r traveling in thailand and we would like to get married here. i wanted to know if anybody has any information on how we can do something like this, where?what?how much?...
    would really appreciate help.
    tnx

#1 Posted: 14/2/2011 - 16:01

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

I live on Koh Tao and there is company here that specializes in this...

http://www.afairytaowedding.com/

Ayesha

#2 Posted: 15/2/2011 - 15:43

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

A fairy wedding would involve katoeys :-)

#3 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 06:52

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Do you "really" want to get married or just have the marriage ceremony?

We were married in Thailand (in Bangkok), we had to register the marriage at the local district office (we did that in Bangrak) takes about an hour and you get a pretty certificate and another bit of paperwork (can't remember what it was called). At that point the marriage is recognised by Thai govt.

We then had to take that to an Oz embassy-sanctioned official translator, who translated both for a fee (from memory that took a couple of days) then we presented that to the embassy who signed off on it, there may have been a fee - can't remember. The marriage was then recognised by the Oz govt.

We had the marriage ceremony about a week later, for this part, while you can use a proper celebrant, it doesn't matter - you can have Mickey Mouse marry you if you want (we had a friend do the deed) and there is no offialdom required.

If you don't want to do all that, easier just to get married in the civil office in your home country but still have a wild party in Thailand!

#4 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 08:08

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Easier to just have the civil stuff done before you go then have the honeymoon in thailand.

The media keeps saying modern western weddings cost on average $40,000 but I dont know where they get those numbers from. Must be from wedding planners trying to talk it up.

100 people at $80 pp is $8,000
    dress $1000
    limo $600
    celebrant $500
    cake and other stuff $2000

$12,100 tops

If you only had a small wedding and had a normal cake and forgoed the fancy deco you could get married for $5,000.

I'd rather spend $35,000 on the holiday and $5,000 on the wedding.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 09:41

• noammaeir

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2011

thanks for the replies. we know its easier to do all the civil stuff in our home country but that is specifically what we r trying to avoid.
    anyways, tnx.

#6 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 15:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Has anyone got married on a beach in Thailand? ... By fifimay on 5 Aug 2008 3 2095 28 Aug 2008