Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sweet spot in Phuket

• champp

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hey everyone, anyone has any recommendations for a sweet spot to stay in Phuket? I love nice and quiet beaches, but I also like to have fun and party at night.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 08:53

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Karon and Kata have nice beaches and not far from Patong where most of the nightlife is. The northern beaches are nice but very quiet.

In terms of getting transport, booking tours and riding bikes it's best to stay around Karon/Kata.

#2 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 10:01

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Was just in Phuket a coupla days ago & took a quick spin through Kata and Karon (though stayed in Phuket Town ). Glorious beaches at the moment, very calm waters etc, but busy, crazy busy, especially with Russian groups.

Difficult to give particular recommendations as you don't give any idea what sort of price accommodation you're after, but if I had to choose between Kata and Karon, I'd probably opt for the northern end of Kata, but a good way back off the beach to keep the price down.

Agree with Krabiman on transport, hire a motorbike (assumming you can ride one!) for getting around - the public transport is a joke.

Crazy busy!

#3 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 10:56

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

somtan , i will be heading off to phuket town in april , have not been there for a couple of years , any ideas of a good gotel in the 500-600 baht a night range with hot water and air con

danny

#4 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 17:10

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

I found Phuket Town boring and went back to the beaches after 1 day.

#5 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 18:54

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

How'd you know they were all Russian?

Kata gets quite a few Danes and Scandos.

Phuket is so heavily marketed around the world now it's best to avoid the place during high season. I'd rather take my chances with rain than deal with too many tourists and higher prices.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 18:56

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

It's a bit of a trade off between night life, beaches and peace and quiet, I'm afraid. If you want to stay somewhere that has a taste of the nightlife, but isn't "crazy busy" like Patong ... maybe Nai Harn down south is the way to go.

Kata and Karon have beaches that look like desktop backgrounds, especially around sunset, and also have the advantage of not being Patong. As someone who's bummed his way around just about every beach town in Phuket, I'd have to say you're best bet is to head to those areas and take a look around the back streets. Quieter and cheaper than the main roads running past the water. That's assuming you're on a budget.

Phuket Town is generally cheaper accommodation-wise than the rest of the island, but as Krabiman points out, it's not exactly close to the action beach or bar-wise. Absolutely rent a bike if you're comfortable riding one. Taxi and tuk tuk transportation is one of the great rip-offs of Phuket. One ride will cost more than a 24 hour motorbike rental most of the time.

If you do end up in Patong, watch yourself in the water. There's a lot of tetanus to go round if you tread in the wrong spot. It's more toilet than beach now.

#7 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 23:52

• champp

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Thank you for the advices guys, I take good note of all this!

#8 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 02:26

• champp

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

And let's say I'm staying in Kata or Karon and I want to go out in Patong at night, is this doable? Taxis would do it at night?

Thanks again :)

#9 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 02:38

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

no taxis at the beaches only tuk tuks who will charge you like 300 baht one way. You can hire a bike for 1 day for 200 baht. Fairly easy riding if you take it easy.

Patong nightlife is rather dire. Bangla Rd (middle of patong) has a muay thai stadium which is worth going to but other than that tacky bars with expensive beers and a bargirl scene. Overpriced restaurants along the beach road and lots of shops selling junk.

Maybe a Phuket local knows some cool music bars away from all the rubbish.

#10 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 06:35

• Advertisement

• laurenladky

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2011

I agree with Krabiman. Do not even attempt to take a taxi at night time as they will charge you up to 500 baht. They do this to locals aswell. 

I have only been in Phuket a few weeks, but I find Phuket Town to be quite quaint. People are telling me that I caught it on a good night, but Soi Romanee in Phuket Town has awesome little pubs with live music. 

If you are looking to party somewhere but avoid taking taxis, it wouldn't be a bad idea to head to Phi Phi if you have the time. If you stay in Phuket Town, you can book a roundtrip boat for 300 baht to Phi Phi. A steal! Though, Phi Phi is probably just as crazy busy as Phuket. No worries about getting a taxi home from a good night out though! 

#11 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 13:41

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Phuket town I found to be boring. You must have caught a rare good night.

phi phi has lots of tourists and bars.

not much of a thai scene. more like the west.

#12 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 22:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.