Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thaliand, or Singapore>Malaysia>Thaliand?

• BDog

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Hello,
    I plan to make a 2 week trip to Southeast Asia next winter, and I was wondering, instead of visiting Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand, should I instead take the entire 2 weeks to only explore Thailand?
    Facts about myself:
    -27 year old, American, male
    -will be traveling alone
    -will be traveling fast, possibly by train?

#1 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 07:01

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Yep do thailand only. Singapore is rather small and boring. Malaysia isnt as good as Thailand.

2 weeks isnt much time. Pick 2 or 3 main spots in thailand.

trains are a bit slow. I fly or drive.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 07:05

• BDog

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Now as far as what to do and see, to really maximize my 2 weeks, what do you suggest? I plan to be there over New Year's, probably December 22nd - January 2nd. I like outdoors activities, beaches, nightlife, food, pretty much anything. Also, I'd like to check out the full moon party on New Year's.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 07:09

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

That's peak season, higher prices and big crowds. FMP is thousands of people on a beach getting drunk and taking other things. Don't see the attraction myself. Rather feral and disrespectful.

I'd suggest flying into Phuket and island hopping which is easy to do.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 07:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You'll have a much harder time getting accom in the popular areas at peak time. Would pay to organise accom ahead of time.

#5 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 07:55

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I'll echo the previous poster -- with 2 weeks stick to Thailand.

Check out Bangkok, Chiang Mai , and a couple islands. One big time saver will be if you fly from Chiang Mai (north) to the islands (south). Thai Airways does this and so does Air Asia (Phuket to Chiang Mai flights). This distance takes a good 20 hours to cover by bus!

#6 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 08:24

• urleandy

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Although Thailand is an extremely tourist friendly country, there aresome customs one should be aware of when visiting. In Temples dress neatly and respectfully, remove shoes and do not ware shorts, hotpants,singlets or spaghetti straps.

#7 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 13:26

• BDog

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Wow! This forum has been really helpful thus far, thanks to everyone.

Chiang Mai does look quite interesting. Do you think that with only 2 weeks I will have time to visit Chiang Mai, Bangkok and do some island hopping around Phuket? If not, should I just stick to Bangkok and Phuket?

#8 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 02:54

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Go to Phuket, hit one or two other islands. Phi Phi is very hedonistic at New Years. You won't miss the FMP.

#9 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 10:37

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Depends what you like whether you should do Chiang Mai or not. The main reason to go there is for trekking. You won't see many animals apart from buffalos and elephants in camps but you can see some villages and float down the river on a raft.

You can do similar things at Kanchanaburi which is only a couple of hours west of Bangkok.

So if you want to spend a fair bit of time doing beaches and islands I'd recommend Kanchanaburi/Bangkok then fly to either Phuket or Krabi.

#10 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 06:30

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Safety of low budget airlines - Thaliand ... By chimpmunk on 25 Oct 2007 4 1700 28 Oct 2007
hostels in malaysia and train ride from malaysia to singapore ... By samtahir on 31 Oct 2012 4 1060 2 Nov 2012