Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Samui and Phangan together?

• anjiebanjie-
    anj

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Hi There,

Am due to fly out to Samui for a couple of days and was then thinking of heading to Koh Phangan but was wondering if this might be a bit samey samey?! I was then thinking of not going Phangan at all and instead head over to the other side to check out Krabi or Phi Phi? I am in the South for 9 days in total and am looking to chill out on the beach and maybe go for walks, check out the scenery etc, not much of a party fan.
    Thanks for any advice!!!

#1 Posted: 17/2/2011 - 22:36

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think they are quite different and it's worth checking them both out. I actually preferred Koh Phangan - but avoid the Full Moon Party times, and tend to head further up the island and avoid the popular Haad Rin area.

It only takes 1-2 hours by ferry to get to KPN so it's an easy trip to do. Of course, you can just play it by ear and if you get tired of Koh Samui, you can move on to KPN. You just might want to consider time on Koh Tao. (Personally, Samui would be my last choice of the 3).

#2 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 02:05

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Samui is a lot of party around Chaweng and Lamai beaches. As for walking around alone as a female outside of the main areas or at night that is NOT a good idea there or any island in Thailand. I say that not to spoil your fun but that walk around checking out the scenery sounded like, "let's check out the natural jungle and nature". hate to say it but not much of that left, except certain jungle areas not to be done alone.
    So if you want less of a party scene make sure you research both islands before hand. As for that wonderful nature to stroll around, maybe Fiji. I have been deep into island jungle there and you will find surprising little communities and rich folks homes, as well as poor immigrants who build them. that nature is dissapearing too fast.

#3 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 10:55

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Krabi has better scenary than either island.

I don't call myself Samui or Pha Ngan man for a reason.

#4 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 06:23

• anjiebanjie-
    anj

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Hi guys,

thanks for all the input. I think I am going to go over to Phangan just to check it out. Thomas922 I am very aware that being a female alone in Thailand is not safe! It may be the land of smiles but I completely get what you are saying - thanks for being honest!

#5 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 19:12

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Thailand is no more dangerous for females than most western countries.

#6 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 07:15

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

I am a girl and the only reason why I would not walk around jungle on my own- I hate snakes but they love me , really. Last encounter- Re:erth festival last Sat in Samui, less than a foot away from me. Having traveled around Thailand a fair amount, I have never come across "mad man attacking western woman...." I'd say London night bus is far more dangerous place than Samui or Phangan jungle...

#7 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 15:59

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Samui has had a couple of rapes and murders against foreigners but big cities like london would have far more. Not a good idea to walk along quiet beaches at night alone if you are female but that applies to any country.

#8 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 19:10

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

You are all right. but I just get tired of seeing girls forget about stuff when they are on vacation. Everyone smiles, she gets drunk....happens a lot. Especially at the big parties. better safe then sorry.

#9 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 19:17

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Can't stop people doing reckless things.

#10 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 08:26

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.