Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Reserving 1st Class Train Travel from Abroad

• WilliamWilde

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Hi All, I'm having no luck in reserving train tickets for an overnight trip from Bangkok to Chumphon. One problem is that we're coming in to Bangkok on 11Mar and looking to get on train 14Mar. I've emailed (no response) and called (will not reserve over the phone) the SRT. Anyone have any insights to reserve train tix from US 2 weeks before arriving in Thailand?

#1 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 10:31

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm for details, but I basically used these guys:

www.thailandtrainticket.com

I used the above site and got my tickets. They even delivered them to my hotel before I arrived without an extra fee. Had a little trouble using my paypal to pay for the tickets but that wasn't their fault.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 11:36

• himji

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

Another one is these guys.

http://www.travelconnecxion.com/

I used them to book travel from home and also from within Thailand.
    Everything went fine with them and they even offered good alternatives when the connections I wanted were fully booked

#3 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 15:38

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

r they trains that busy you have to pre book?

i was just going to rock up 30 mins before and a buy a ticket for my trip to prachuap.

would have thought 3rd class would be the most busy

#4 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 19:24

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Krabiman - I've heard some routes fill up while others have more openings, and of course that depends on the season. I was traveling over Chinese New Year so I expected more traffic than usual and decided to pre-book for a 2nd Class A/C Sleeper. It seems on examination that was a good idea because the bunks were all full in the 1 car that was set aside for 2nd Class A/C.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 08:51

• shiva1961

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2009

i booked through this site from my home country and they delivered the ticket to my hotel in bangkok....they were very professional...

http://www.asia-discovery.com/

#6 Posted: 26/2/2011 - 15:32

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I have always found that the overnight sleeper cars book up first and the regular cheap seats can often be booked on the same day. Maybe for holidays those bookings can be a little tighter. With a train they might add more cars with cheap seats because once the train gets going the cost to pull 60 cars isn't much different than pulling 50 cars. The overnight sleeper to Chiang Mai is popular.

If you are staying in Bangkok and you want the sleeper car my advice is to get the tickets as soon as possible, especially during high season. If you have a hotel on or near the Skytrain route you can use the Skytrain to bring you to the subway, the subway goes direct to the Hualamphong Train Station.

Every time I have been on a train in Thailand it has been chilly! They are always a little noisy and wobbly but one time on a run to Hat Yai I had an awful loud banging/clunking noise from under the car the whole way from Bangkok. Bring something to read during the ride and maybe some earplugs.

Good luck.

#7 Posted: 26/2/2011 - 20:10

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

I actually love trains despite all the cockroaches! There is a restaurant and room service, food ok but pricey. You get a towel, bedding, air con, there is even a sink in the cabin. Two bed cabins can be opened up so they become one four bed cabin. In Aug last year we went from Bangkok to Udon Thani (for Lao)- it was full! I now alway book in advance. The night trains are fastest. I always bring earplugs. 2nd and 3rd class- not so much fun for long travel.

#8 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 12:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
buying train tickets abroad ... By Patrick01 on 16 Nov 2011 2 2042 16 Nov 2011
first or second class sleeper train for Bangkok -Trang?? ... By knot01 on 23 Feb 2009 4 13871 28 Feb 2009
Offered: 2 first class train tickets koh samui -> bangkok ... By mathijsb on 25 Jun 2009 0 2305 25 Jun 2009