Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Pants

• worldbound

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

Is it necessary to bring pants to Thailand? I am going in April and know it's going to be very hot. I'm not sure if I need pants for Temples or for night when mosquitos can be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 27/2/2011 - 23:15

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I think it's a good idea to have a pair, even if you don't wear them much. I take one pair of lightweight, fast-drying pants with the zip-on/off legs that I can take off or put on as required. Most of the time they are shorts, and the pant legs are rolled up and in my nap sack. They weigh nothing and take no space.

Generally speaking it is respectful and polite to wear long pants when going into temples though there aren't many where you would be stopped from entering. You won't be allowed into the Temple of the Emerald Buddha without long pants, though.

#2 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 00:45

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Yes April is usually about the hottest month and jeans/denim pants are uncomfortable at that time but 3/4-length roomy shorts preferably made of breathable quick-dry fabric are a good idea. Any Thai temple will be ok with that except Wat Phra Kaew (i.e. Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha temple in Bangkok) which has a more strict dress code, but some easy hire garments are available there. Some younger Thais wear thigh-level shorts but it's more respectful to stick with something below-the-knee, and more practical to keep it loose-fitting and breezy. But don't tense-up about it too much - it's not Saudi Arabia and most modern folks just dress for comfort with a modicum of respectfulness. "Fashionable" young urban Thai girls now don short-shorts but you don't need to follow their lead.

Is it necessary to bring pants to Thailand?
    Short answer is "not really"

#3 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 02:04

• ThailandDia-
    ries

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011
    Location Thailand

I only ever wore pants in the jungle (dry tree brunches, mosquito's and leeches were all disappointed), just simple fishermans pants, light , cotton 150-250B available everywhere. Had leggings with me but too too hot.

Jeans are a definite no no, although locals love them. But hey- yesterday I saw a girl in Tesco in Samui- she was wearing a long coat!!!!!!!!!!!!Sweaters are for sale everywhere too...)))))

#4 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 15:20

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

It's funny how you can wear pyjama type long pants into temples but not dress shorts.

But that's Thailand. They have odd values.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 19:13

• worldbound

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

Ok so I decided to bring pants, or at least buy them when I get there if that is possible. I hear fisherman pants (as cool as they look to us in USA) are actually frowned upon in public/temples. So could I buy a pair of comoftable, light pants there?

If I bring a pair what should they be made out of?

Thanks

#6 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 00:33

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Frowned upon? Nope. You can wear pyjamas just not shorts.

Bit ridiculous really.

#7 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 06:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Many of the roughly 66 million Thais wear pants so yes you can buy them here too. Go to Tesco Lotus and grab something lightweight for 299 baht

#8 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 14:35

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Why don't you get a pair of travel pants from a shop like REI? They zip off into shorts and are easily washable.

#9 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 19:10

• worldbound

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2011

I guess that question was a bit silly now that I think about it!

I have pants that zip into shorts only thing is that they zip into shorts that are a bit too short for my taste, and probably too short for Thailand. I'll just buy a pair there.

#10 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 02:55

• Advertisement

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

Buy thin cotton pants in the markets for 100 or 150 baht. Dont bother going to Tesco.

#11 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 08:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.