Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Looking for solo traveller advice ...

• JR4068

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2011

I'm looking to travel the Thai islands in March or April 2011. How easy is it to hook up with other travellers there? I back packed Europe when i was 20 with a buddy and we had no problems hooking up with travellers from all over the world. Planning on trying the solo thing now, just not sure how receptive other's are?

I'm a 34 yr old Canadian Firefighter looking for other travellers with similar agenda's. I hoping to relax, sight see, beach it, party, and just go with the flow!

JR

#1 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 07:15

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You'll find it fairly easy if you are sticking to main, popular islands, and staying in backpacker accom or guest houses (as opposed to resort-style hotels where people don't tend to congregate in a common area).

There is a 'Travelling Companions forum on this site - you could always post specifics there and see if you can hook up with anyone.

#2 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 07:23

• Krabiman

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2011

"As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do"

You don't think murderers regret it?

#3 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 08:03

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Busylizzy is right! I find so many people willing to hang out and party (on those nights I am so inclined) from ages 18-50 at guesthouses and the like. Even if you go midrange with the "flashpacker" set you will still meet many travelling folks who are of like mind. If there is no hang out area where people congregate at your accommodation, just hit the right bars or beach huts and buy a mate a drink. I have met tons that way and sometimes we travelled together later on to see sights and even met up with people weeks later in another country. Don't worry, you'll be just fine!

#4 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 10:37

• ButterflyGl-
    ove

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

I agree! The islands in Thailand have to be among the easiest places in SE Asia to meet like-minded partying types.

I travelled solo a few years back and find that most of the 'friends' I met were on buses and ferries! Buy a few beers for the ferry ride, get chatting with other backpackers and you'll have mates to island hop with in no time. The great thing about island hopping in the south is that everyone is doing a similar route, so often you bump into the same faces over and over again.

Failing that, as busylizzy says, if you stick to the popular beaches you will definitely find tons of people to hang out with.

Have a great time.

#5 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 14:19

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

I'm also a solo traveller, on my way to Thailand at the end of March and all of April 2011 and I am hoping to meet up with people along the way for beach and fun times as well.

JR4068, I would welcome an email anytime, if you would like to keep in touch along the way!

Cheers!

#6 Posted: 4/3/2011 - 13:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo traveller in Thailand, end of March!! Advice needed! ... By Talv on 13 Jan 2014 5 495 14 Jan 2014