Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Burma Railway

• davidwise

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2006

Is the site of the railway easy to follow between nam tok and hellfire pass/hintok? i know the rails aren't there any more but is it all totally overgrown/dismantled or can it be easily traced?

#1 Posted: 1/1/2007 - 19:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi David,

The main stretch that people follow is from the Hellfire Pass Musuem onwards -- there's a stretch immediately after the museum, but you can apparently follow the ballast trail for kilometres from there. In all cases the rails are long gone, but the ballast remains.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2007 - 08:32

• davidwise

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2006

Hi Somtam,
    Thanks, I'm going to try to walk the stretch back from Hellfire pass to Kanchanburi so I'll look for the ballast as you say between hellfire pass and nam tok. i'll post here what i find.

#3 Posted: 2/1/2007 - 16:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi David,

You may want to contact the museum and see if they can offer any advice, This site has contact details for them. There's also this site, though I'm not sure if it is an official site or just a travel agent masquerading as.

Hope that helps

#4 Posted: 3/1/2007 - 05:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.